What Is This Stuck To The Sump Plug Beta 4t?

nzralphy

Hi Guys

I recently changed my oil on the Rev4 250 4T and this little wire/wave washer was attached to the magnet on the drain plug. I don't know where it is from. Or if i have misassembled the engine. There doesn't appear to be any damage on the part and the engine appears to run fine.

History stuff i have done - the bike has had a factory kick-starter kit (requires removal of clutch basket), head gasket (i did a cylinder head polish, piston top polish, and valve tickle while it was apart), valves have been adjusted a few times, clutch plates have been cleaned up (requires removal)

Does any one have any idea where it is from???????

Thanks in advance, Ralphy

Looks like half a ball bearing support cage, imagine another one and then imagine balls filling the space between,

looks pretty small if thats what it is, so you should be able to pin it down to which bearing is affected.

hope i am wrong.

Looks like trouble to me. I think the engine needs to be stripped and examined. Could you take of the side cases and hopefully find an easy fix, or a call to Lampkin may be a place to start.

I would not turn the engine over or youre looking a big bucks. My lathe bearing went in my Gasser and that resulted in new bearings through out the gear box, mains and an idle gear.

Edited by smalley250

Oh smeg.... here is the photopost-7118-1266051161.jpg

It certainly looks like a bearing cage, but if it is, where's there rest of it? It would be a minor miracle for the cage to find it's way into the sump but for the bearings to have stayed in place.

I'm not at all familiar with this engine but I was just wondering where on earth there would be a bearing that small? .

Clutch push rod perhaps?

anyone got a engine break down picture ?

bearing

it looks like the gold part in a sealed bearing

water pump been apart or kick start ?

http://www.betamotor.com/system/attachment...t_07_motore.pdf

if you have had head off it could be the bearing by the cam chain page 10 number 14 or 20 or if you mesure what you have and add about 5mm it might rule some of them out i think kick start is best place to start

Edited by matt_urban

anyone got a engine break down picture ?

bearing

it looks like the gold part in a sealed bearing

water pump been apart or kick start ?

http://www.betamotor.com/system/attachment...t_07_motore.pdf

if you have had head off it could be the bearing by the cam chain page 10 number 14 or 20 or if you mesure what you have and add about 5mm it might rule some of them out i think kick start is best place to start

Can't be kickstart based on the pdf, all bearings on the kickstart shaft are caged needle roller bearings

I haven't noticed any change in note from the engine and i appear to be lucky that the found part has no damage.

If it is half a bearing cage then it is from a stub shaft. If it was from a through shaft the the photographed piece would still be hanging on the shaft as - i assume - the other half is hanging about on now.

The piece has an OD of approx 10.5mm so it isn't big. I'll look through the pdf to try narrow the search down.

Good help sofar guys, keep it coming.

Only a thought and forgive me for even suggesting it but, is there any chance the item is part of your tool kit that was dropped in un-noticed?

May be part of a 1/4 drive ratchet that came apart during the rebuild?

Or perhaps it was lying on the bench and stuck to a spanner dropping in at a bad moment?

I'm ducking :ph34r: