Water Leak

houseape1000

Whilst out on the bike today, after about 15 mins I noticed water leaking from the overflow. I stopped the bike, give it 5mins to cool down, and tried again......to the same again.

The fan works on the temp switch and does work.

When I got home, I got it warm again and the same happened again. :ph34r:

Can somebody tell me the possible causes, I think its probably the head gasket, but I don't know for sure.......could it be something else ?

Where do I start, should I drain the coolant off, and check the impellar and seal firstly.

If it is the head gasket, should I replace the little ends, and rings at the same time..........what would you do ?

Cheers,

Andy.

Oh yeah, it isn't blowing white smoke out of the exhaust.

Man you're having some tribulations with your trials....Is it really pumping out?.. did you just "overfill" it did you sqeeze hoses to barrel as you filled it (air locks)?. If you have a cracked head or gasket blown it will generally really be pumping it out wether engine is hot or cold. Is the rad cap sound? is the rad clear?... impeller & seal would only leak water into gearbox oil. all I'm saying is check simple things first. I went through all this once with a gas gas ..it turned out to be an invisible hairline crack in the head which under compression pumped water out but fortunatly didn't suck it in to combustion space... what you really want is a scorpa or yam man to pick up on this..may be a"regular" thing with em...good luck!

Stork...The bit about the failed rad cap got me off my a*se.........been out to the garage to check, and the valve inside had stuck open.

What caused it to open ? The last time out it didn't overflow, and I don't think it was hot enough to boil over today, it just leaked.

I will have to try it again, with fingers crossed !

Chewy...I have learned a valuable lesson, be very wary of bikes on ebay !!!

In the past Ive rebuilt car engines, such as Vauxhall Omega, Astra, Fiesta, Orion, pug 405 diesel - snapped the cam into three at Haydock island in rush hour...., and more.

What Im saying is, I'm no mechanic, but I get by, and am quite capable, but for some reason when it comes to the bike and a spot of mechanic-ing, I turn into a jibbering wreck.......I don't know why ?

Just realised though, it seems that everything I own....I break.... I dismantle.....I repair.......I sell !

I can't warrant buying a brand new bike, but it sure is tempting. I keep telling the wife I've bought one, just to take the edge off her for when I do ! :ph34r:

Edited by houseape1000