Shock Bushes

houseape1000

Hi again.....more problems.....!

How do you remove the shock to swingarm bush, I haven't tried yet as I don't know how theyre held in.

The only thing I've done is remove the bolt, and cleaned the area with wd40.

It looks as though they're pressed in from each side.

I've supported the rear wheel so as not to snap the brake cable ( as read on another post ) when it all comes loose.

Cheers.

When I changed mine I got a scocket the size of the outside diameter of the bush, a larger socket on the other side then put the shock with the sockets eitherside in the vice, with a bit of wd, they came out nicely.

To put the new in just start them off then put them in the vice to push them in fully.

To make it realy easy put the new bushes in your freezer for a good hour, & lightly heat the area of the shock where the bearings go. Job done !

On the swing-arm shock mount, there appears to be a bush or spacer on each side that is pressed into the ali mount. How do these come out, do they have a shoulder on them, should I be warming the area up first then knock them out, or do they need to be pulled out with vice-grips or something similar?

Like I say, the shock is still on the bike, so would like to remove it from the bottom mount first, but unsure of the set-up of the bushes. I've looked at the manual for help, but seems a bit unclear cos the picure is a bit fuzzy.

Hello, the bushes in the swingarm mount don't need to be removed in order for the shock to come out. They don't pass through the shock absorber, only the ally part of the swingarm. The shock may be a tight fit in the mount, so some gentle persuasion might be required to free it. (At least this is all true for my '08 as I've just cleaned and regreased the swingarm/ shock bearings. Different years may not be quite the same, but I don't remember my '01 being much different).

Regards

Straycollie2

Cheers, I removed the shock and removed the bush from the bottom. There is a bit of play in the bush, and there is no grease in it..... Do I have to replace the bush ( think its called a rose joint ) or can I repack wih grease and pop the "O" rings back on.

Yzee, just tried the shock and spring, and a combination of both, and it's no different at all...( I was only bouncing around the garage though )....oh well ! You win some, you lose some !

Is this shock servicable, it doesn't look like it...... I think the shock is doing its job, it's the spring that needs uprating for a 15.5 stone lump.

Has anyone had an uprated spring, if so could you make any recomm......reccom.......reccomm......recom?endations as to the spec, and price, and where from ?

Thanks again.

Andy.