Linkage Removal Problem

boomer

Hello,

I'm trying to remove the rocker arm from my swingam to replace the linkage bearings, but am unable to remove the bolt and nut that attach them to the swingarm. Has anyone seen this issue before? If so, how did you remove the seized nut and bolt?

Thanks!

Hello,

I'm trying to remove the rocker arm from my swingam to replace the linkage bearings, but am unable to remove the bolt and nut that attach them to the swingarm. Has anyone seen this issue before? If so, how did you remove the seized nut and bolt?

Thanks!

Unfortunately, you've come across probably the most overlooked bearing on a Trials bike. Riders will service the dogbone bearings and think they are o.k., but the bearing in the swingarm is usually not noticed.

You'll probably need to drive out the bolt with a long, thin drift or piece of rod. Count on replacing all the parts as you'll most likely find rusted pieces. The inner bushings go in from either side (they look like top hats, and it's a good idea to look at a parts manual to get an idea of how the parts are assembled) and use a thin drift with the end cut square so you have a sharp edge to catch the bushing in the center of the bore and drive it out.

Unless you plan on taking the swingarm off to press out the bearings (not a fun job) you can make a simple bearing removal tool with a short length of threaded rod and two long sockets. The smaller socket should be slightly smaller diameter than the bearing shell and the larger socket should have an inside diameter large enough to contain the bearing shell when it is pressed out. Thread the rod through the bore, tighten up the nuts and the small socket will press the bearing shells out the side and into the larger socket. Lots of penetrating oil helps. You can also use the tool to install the new bearings after you've carefully cleaned out the bore.

Jon

post-2532-1268920012.jpg

Thanks for the reply! I've removed the swingarm already. My problem is removing the nut from the bolt, not getting the bolt out - at least not yet. It won't budge even when use a pneumatic impact driver. Just thought I would see if anyone has had this problem before.

Thanks!

Thanks for the reply! I've removed the swingarm already. My problem is removing the nut from the bolt, not getting the bolt out - at least not yet. It won't budge even when use a pneumatic impact driver. Just thought I would see if anyone has had this problem before.

Thanks!

Bummer, not had one that bad.....yet. You might have to grind the nut down and just before it's totally gone use a pin punch to knock the bolt through.

Jon

Bummer, not had one that bad.....yet. You might have to grind the nut down and just before it's totally gone use a pin punch to knock the bolt through.

Jon

I ended up cutting the nut off and used a punch to get it out. That thing sure was stuck.

Thanks!

Edited by boomer