In Search Of The Perfect Gearbox Oil

neo

Hi All,

I have for some time been in search of the perfect Sherco Gearbox oil.

1. Affordable in 5 Liter container from a car accessory shop

2. No clutch drag from stone cold/first engagement

3. Smooth clutch action

4. No slip once the clutch is fully engaged

5. Low or no clutch squeal

I have for some time believed that Castrol Edge Sport was as close as I could get to perfection. But I found that if the bike was not used for a few days or it was a really cold morning then the clutch would still drag from stone cold/first engagement.

So after spending some time in SuperCheap Autos I think I have another good candidate....Nulon 100% Synthetic 5W-30 Long Life Diesel and Petrol Engine Oil. It's not cheap oil but it is 5w30 synthetic oil which has served me well to date.

SYND5W30-thumb.jpg

I'm still testing it but early results look promising. :)

Best of balanced.

Neo

Edited by Neo

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is indeed fantastic news, that clutch Nirvana may have been discovered :)

I'm using Ipone Synthetic Oil which does the job fine once warm, but when cold or unused for a while, drags like an episode of Lost.

Now you have found it, do you have any tips on getting it in? a horizontal filler isnt the most user friendly. I'm going to try a turkey baster to see if i can shoot it in there.

Good news :beer:

Now you have found it, do you have any tips on getting it in? a horizontal filler isnt the most user friendly. I'm going to try a turkey baster to see if i can shoot it in there.

I always lie the bike on it's side. I use an adjustable strap from my handle bars to a wall fixing behind me so I can set how much I want it to lean over. But you could rest the bike on it's bar end if you like.

If you force the oil in with anything like a turkey baster I think it with spit back at you....then you'll loose track of how much oil has gone into the gearbox....It's only 450ml...so patience is the best practice really :thumbup:

Best of balance.

Neo

does engine oil contain extreme pressure additives that the gears/gearbox/bearings require?

No idea I'm afraid... :thumbup:

Is there a reason you ask?

Best of balance.

Neo

Thanks Neo - i think i need to work on my technique as last time it must have taken a couple of hours to drip feed 450ml in there. was hoping a baster might be the answer, but maybe not. I've got a spare filler cap which i have been meaning to drill out and solder a 90 degree angle on, but its at the thinking it through stage still.

Other guys i have chatted to swear by ATF , but they didnt ride Shercos. Is that worth a go or is Nulon the answer?

as a matter of interest - how often do you change it?

As a side note I have a 2000 2.9 that I use Maxima 75wt Motorcycle Transmission Lube. I change my oil once or twice a year. I have not had the clutch plates stick at start up, always been a nice smooth clutch operation, no slippage. (maybe the plates are just old and don't hook up like they should)

Filling it back up takes a little bit of time, I lean the bike over against my workbench at roughly 45degrees. I have a funnel with some silicone tubing that I use, Takes a bit for it to flow into the bike, but with the tubing attached to the funnel I can stand up and not be all hunched over.

The following is just my opinion and may be subject to fact verification by someone who actually knows.

I don't like the idea of using automatic transmission fluid in a gearbox. The ATF is a hydraulic fluid used for pressure applications not for its lubricating abilities. Inside a gearbox lubrication is way more important than pressure abilities. And a Gear Lube that is designed for motorcycle wet clutches is designed for just the purpose that I am using it for.

I don't like the idea of using automatic transmission fluid in a gearbox. The ATF is a hydraulic fluid used for pressure applications not for its lubricating abilities. Inside a gearbox lubrication is way more important than pressure abilities. And a Gear Lube that is designed for motorcycle wet clutches is designed for just the purpose that I am using it for.

I'd agree with ZIPPY on that....and I have heard it eventually soaks into the clutch plates too....But I know ATF is very popular with GasGas owners.

Castrol Edge Sport pours in easy into the filler hole and Nulon 100% Synthetic 5W-30 pours in even easier :bouncy:

Let us know how you get on with the filler cap mod....I'd been thinking about a mod to that cap myself, just this morning :thumbup:

Best of balance.

Neo

Just pour your lube in a ketchup plastic squeeze bottle with the twist on pointy end! Squeeze away!

Nice one Cope :thumbup:

I suppose with the bike lying on it's side you can give the "twist on pointy end" half a turn into the hole and let it go. .... A bit like a baby sucking on it's on it own bottle I think :bouncy:

I've been looking for a good excuse to get rid of that ketchup anyway!

Oh and in answer to your question Caddabs. Within mineral oils some people change it as often as every ride. But since going over to Synthetic I'm changing mine once every couple of months.

I'll do this with the Nulon soon...just to see how it's coping.

Best of balance.

Neo

Nice one chaps :bouncy:

I'm off to a Happy Eater to get me some squeezy ketchup !

My oil has been in a couple of months now. Its not a problem when warm, so i think i shall stick to my "if it aint broke, dont fix it" mantra before i look at the plates.

It was a Gas Gas rider who recommended ATF, but thanks for the advice will stay well clear and give Nulon a go next time.

Have fun - Caddabs. :thumbup:

Or just lay the bike on the ground & pull off the clutch cover & tip it around the clutch :thumbup:

Come on Tony, it's just 450ml ....surely it takes longer to undo those 4 bolts, remove the cover, put back the cover, then put the 4 bolts back again.....than it does to poor the oil down that hole??

Or maybe my impression is wrong because I've been using Castrol Edge for 2 years now. ^_^

BTW....Things are getting colder at night around here and my bike has not been ridden for 3 days. Started her up, pulled in the clutch and clicked her into 1st with just the front brake on. There was a twitch but the bike stayed standing and engine kept running!!.....looking good, but still testing :bouncy:

Best of balance.

Neo

Edited by Neo

Hmmm.....that looks good....but how do you know you've put in exactly 450ml?....because if you put only 450ml in the bottle then I'd guess that some of that will remain in the pump mechanism?

Best of balance.

Neo