Fuel In Exhaust

squid

Hello.

Please tell me why Iam gettin fuel spitting out of me exhaust.

Cheers

Squid.

Is that burn fuel (black in colour) or petroil mix?

If its petrol mix then it could well be a sticking float needle. This can happen if the fuel tap is left in the open position and the crankcase fills with petrol until it finds its way out thorough the exhaust port. Syphon effect if you like.

If its burnt fuel, sounds like an exhaust gasket has given up the ghost.

Have you whipped the exhaust off recently?

What was the last thing you did to the machine before this symptom occurred?

Big John

Squid, it could be time to remove the exhaust system and give it a blast with a gas blow lamp to get rid of any excess fuel/oil that is inside the pipe, the tail section can hold loads in the packing which is best removed and replaced, you can use fibre glass loft insulation as it works just fine. If after doing this its still noticeable then as John mentioned its possible the float bowl needle is not shutting off the fuel very well which would be more of a problem if the petrol tank cock is not shutting off also. Get that exhaust off and have some fun with a blow lamp.

Thanks for these answers Big John and Andy T

I have taken me exhaust off a couple of months back and given it alot of heat to get the muck out. I did replace the exhaust gasket and the diddy o ring too. Andy my exhaust is sealed so I cant do what you recommend. I think I did a good job of cleaning that pipe. I've tinkered with the little bit between the floats to the measure you recommended and it was better But I think I need to get a new float because I've had this problem since I bought the bike. You mention also the petrol tank cock. I took the tap off last weekend. The 2 gauze pipes and all around the little orange washer was encrusted in black gunk. The washer looked tired also. I replaced the rubber thing with the four holes +the rubber washer at the base but not the sad looking orange one.

I guess it would be best to replace the whole tap as the gauze on thoe pipes looked like they'd had enough.

Chewy.

When is it you'll be in France?

Thanks again for your help.

Cheers

Squid.

Squid, I forgot the 125 tail pipe don't come apart.. as you mentioned. If the petrol cock shuts off then don't bother getting a new one, I would remove the gauze on the tap if its had it and fit a inline filter within the fuel hose line. Its worth noting you will probably always get some oil/petrol around the tail pipe or is yours excessive? another source of oil getting in the exhaust pipe is if the gearbox crank seal has had, but you would notice that you would be topping up the gearbox oil all the time.

Squid,

The 125's do have a tendency to "spot" with little oil/fuel marks spraying on the rear mudguard whereas the 175/250 tailpipe is different. You could be getting too much mix into the engine through over running with the choke on or the float valve could be sticking. If the float valve is stuck, quite a common problem, you can remedy this with a very light emery cloth. Take the carb off yet again, remove the float bowl and this time push out the little brass rod that holds the floats in place. The valve should now fall into the palm of your hand! It has a sharp spherical point on the upper end and often gets corroded allowing fuel to weep into the bowl. A quick polish with the emery will stop this. When put back together push the floats up and then release to see if the valve is opening and closing smoothly.

Tony