Weak Kick Starter

ty_steve

Has anyone found an alternative kick starter for the TY175? Mine is busted and I cringe at the thought of a replacing it with another weakly built copy. Also, being in Canada it isn't going to be cheap. Surely there is a way around this problem? Anyone had any success?

Thanks!

Steve

Hi Steve,

What is the problem? Broken Kick start lever? Or Kick start lever hitting the case? Is the motor kicking back and hence putting extra force on the lever? Is the kick start knuckle broken?

Hey Starky, the kick start boss pin has snapped off. I understand it's a common problem with the TY175's. It wasn't hitting the case or anything, it just snapped off due to my thunderous thighs... I've borrowed another one from a friend and can see busting it in no time as well. The bike is super easy to kick over however the design of the kick start is weak. So, I'm wondering if there are any alternative kick starts from other bikes available?

Steve

Hi Steve,

Not sure what you mean by the 'boss'. But a while back Sammy Miller Products had the knuckles for sale by themselves. I have not seen them on their web pages but.

I have a spare welded up kick start lever where it spins around the knuckle pin. A mate of mine also welded me up my TY250 kick start lever. You can't even see where he welded it but that is his trade.

Keep an eye on ebay for second hand spares, there is a fair bit on at the moment in the Sates.

There are several Yamaha kick starters that will fit the knurl end on the rod, but none have the absolute perfect bend to get out of the way. Most are fairly cheap (off Ebay). If you know a good welder you can modify a DT or MX kicker and probably live with it.

Alan

Thanks guys, and sorry - I should have said it was the pin on the knuckle that broke. I'll see if I can get it welded up as suggested. I've seen the knuckles for sale on their own, however they are vastly overpriced IMHO.