How To Set Up Suspention

dann_87

Any tips on what a trials bike suspension should be set as..things like sag and such...

i dont know much about suspension i weigh 14stone so do i need heavier springs, thicker oil....how do i know if i have enough rebound etc...

First up....read the owners manual.

Set the front and back sag to exactly 1/3 sag when you stand on it. No More No Less. Get a friend to help for this. Bikes come out of the factory best set for a 70-75kg rider if you are up over 95kg(ish) you should be looking for a heavier spring (warning, it is odd to have to put heaps of spring pre-load turns on the shock). Putting spacers under fork springs helps if you run out of adjustment.

Loosen the rebound damping adjusters on the fork and shock a little (keep note of how far you turn them). Now bounce the bike up and down. It will be fast/ bouncy fast/coming back up at you with a thud. Now turn the adjusters in until the superfast return speed goes away... but is not over dampened. A little bit of show is good.

Adjust damping in and out to find your favourite feel.

If the rear shock rebound damping doesn't slow down then you NEED a shock rebuild.

Damping gives you control and traction.

Did I say 1/3 sag

Check it every 6 months as damping and springs change.

Edited by NZRalphy