4rt Temperamental

bfa

My '09 4RT will start easily from cold and most times after having run.

Whether it is after warming up from a cold start or in the middle of a ride, it idles smoothly but when the revs pick up it misses and pops.

We are at 3000 ft. elevation and the other day rode up to 8000 ft. I started it easily to move it just a short distance, shut it off and then it would not start except by bump starting and it ran very poorly at that.

It is rideable but performs poorly.

Any suggestions where to start looking?

Thanks.

if you did not let it warm up ,possibly fluffed the plug , does it rev ? black smoke? pop bang? does it clear when fully warm ?

if its fully cold will it start and what does it do?

Even warmed up to where the fan is running continuously it will not rev without missing and worst at rev limit with smoke and popping. Pops while riding, even on open straights.

When cold, it will start easily.

Check (carefully) for high voltage leakage between the plug and coil.... you may have insulation breakdown and the plug isn't getting a spark.

Thanks for that! I will check it out.

My first impression was that it could be an electrical issue, so I tested the resistance of most of the main components and they were all within spec. Also installed a new spark plug.

Good suggestion, and I am also going to check the spark plug cap while I am at it.

• 5 weeks later...

SOLVED! Dielectric grease on the contacts on the 32 pin connector seems to have fixed it. The symptoms indicated electrical (and all other aspects of the engine were 100%) and it appears that it was just a matter of poor contact somewhere.

Thanks for your input!