Cylinder Head Removal

gordeee

Hi Gordee,

not really such a thing as a workshop manual but there is a whole heap of useful info HERE including a parts catalogue for your model.

I'm guessing you're not too familiar with working on a 2 stroke engine? The only oil that would escape from where you are describing would be the oil already mixed with the petrol? Possible and likely cause being the inner 'o' ring between the head and the barrel. Have you experienced any overflow from your radiator? This is also a side effect caused by piston pressure passing by the 'o' ring.

Have you tried 'nipping' up the head bolts or even checking to see if the 'oiled' up ones are slack? Have you noticed any coolant loss? Whatever the symptoms it sounds like you need to replace the TWO 'o' rings between the head and the barrel. Quite a simple task but just check everything first and let us know how you get on? (You shouldn't need a new base gasket unless you remove the barrel)

post-5107-1282363908.jpg

Cheers,

GJ :o

Edited by gjbiker

GJ Thanks for taking the time to reply, the drawing and info is much appreciated.

My description of where the leak was coming from was incorrect, it's actually from the Barrel fixing nut that has the triangular mounting plate fitted to it.

I did try nipping them up to 20 lb/ft, no joy ,just a small weep from the one nut as before.

The engine was rebuilt professionally last year and otherwise runs very well.

Yeah, you're right, I'm not too familiar with working on a 2 stroke engines. Mostly old Land Rovers :o

Cheers

Gordie

Ah, a fellow Landy enthusiast ! You'll know how to use a big hammer then?

Sounds like your own diagnosis was correct? Base gasket? Quite an easy task to replace, just watch the vids by Jim Snell and you'll soon be leak free. If you have any problems or need more info drop me a PM. Glen Affric isn't a million miles away, I could take a run over on the bike and help you out in exchange for a cuppa?

GJ :o

(TD5 Defender, Series IIA and a big hammer)

Thanks again GJ

I'll replace the base gasket and see how I get on.

I'll also check out the Jim Snell videos.

You're more than welcome to take a run over for a cuppa and browse the fleet, although I'd arrive in a transit so you can

take home some S2 parts with you :o

Gordie :o

(300tdi Disco, more Series IIA's than fingers and a special hammer)