Which Bearings Have Collapsed Inside My Rev-3 Engine?

andye

Gday, when your crank is out have a feel of the bigend as several folks have said.Any roughness and its a new one. If that is OK, get a set of feeler gauges and measure between the rod and the crankshaft. There are no actual specs that I know of for the Beta but any more than around 25 thou is geeting too big. Again a new bigend is in order. If it is less, good news! Good luck with it and remember to clean all your gasket surfaces perfectly. Scotch pads work best for this job. Clean everything thouroughly with a solvent just before reassembly.

Cheers,

Stork.

All,

Had a bit of time today to carry on with the engine. Removed the clutch, primary gear and weight and the flywheel bolt.

I had a threaded flywheel extractor I thought would fit, but it doesn't, so I need to get one before I can carry on.

However, did notice this - presumably the seal was fitted like this by some careless aaarse - I guess it hasn't 'prolapsed' whilst fitted.

P1060204.JPG

Cheers

Andy

Well, I've found the source of the noise.

I'm absolutely astonished that the crank felt so smooth when turning it over by hand, because this is the flywheel-side main bearing...

I pulled the bearing cage bits out for the photo, they were all twisted up inside the bearing shell.

P1060215.JPG

P1060223.JPG

The flywheel side crank seal looked in perfect condition (apart from the fact that it was full of bits of bearing), so I don't know if there was a specific cause of the failure. Needless to say, there are metal flakes all over the place to clean out.

Here's the damaged seal on the clutch side. Nice work by the previous mechanic.

P1060218.JPG

With the crank and conrod in my hand, there's no up-and-down play in the conrod/big-end bearing. A fair bit of lateral play though.

New mains and seals on order.

Cheers all for the advice.

Andy

Edited by AndyE