Ute Cup

jse

Well, I thought I'd throw something up regarding the Ute Cup in Colorado last weekend.

A wonderful event in the beautiful San Isabel Mountains and the RMTA people did a fantastic job, as usual. 20+ mile loops and 20 sections per loop (2 loops per day) and the weather was very cooperative. The sections were rideable by a good Intermediate (I would have ridden all the sections I saw with no problem) and several riders came in with clean cards. I checked sections with Ed Peacock each day and we saw many smiles on the riders faces who came through. Everybody had a good time and I'm really looking forward to the 2011 Ute Cup at Del Norte next year!

The altitude was 8400 at the sign-up to a little over 11,000 ft at the top sections and we had several new riders show up from all over the U.S. MATT's Jason Carpenter won the overall based on a great ride and age-old guys rule, well at least in this case....:D

Jon

ps. Myself and a lot of others sure miss Allen Guyot, it was tough not seeing his smiling face there this year.

Jon:

Thanks for that update! I know that as soon as I started reading your report and thinking back about old times.....I started to think about Allen, even before you mentioned him!!! It is very sad for sure!! It is on my list of rides I want to do again with my son! It is also on my most memorable moments having a clean day on day 2 in 94 in my second attempt at that trial. I believe Mark Manniko and myself tied on day 2 both with clean days!

Steve

Jon:

Thanks for that update! I know that as soon as I started reading your report and thinking back about old times.....I started to think about Allen, even before you mentioned him!!! It is very sad for sure!! It is on my list of rides I want to do again with my son! It is also on my most memorable moments having a clean day on day 2 in 94 in my second attempt at that trial. I believe Mark Manniko and myself tied on day 2 both with clean days!

Steve

Mark, of course, was there and almost won the event! I think he dropped one point that put him out of contention but he is riding as well as ever (and still one of the nicest guys you will ever meet). You need to come down and bring your son, I bet he'd really enjoy it.

I'm also doing a set of DVDs for Mark on the events he rode (Nationals, WTC and TDN).

Jon

Jon, thank you for starting the thread about the Ute Cup, we had planned to do so but had not gotten around to it.

The trials masters did a great job in setting the sections and as an added attraction, the bears that raided several participant

My family and I decided to drive from Pueblo Saturday to see what this trials stuff is all about. My impression of trials previous to this event, was shaped from watching professionals on You Tube (big rocks and insane hops). Now, I know better. We were all impressed with what we saw. We found ourselves cheering and attempting to use "the force" to help a few riders through the sections.

My family and I, saw a rider that was going through the first section 15 minutes after everyone had left. He put his foot down a few times, stopped and got his card punched. The guy had a smile on his face and was catching his breath. Apparently, he was late from his drive (from Denver) because his truck broke down in Pueblo. He told us about how he went to Lowes, bought a coordless drill, extracted a broken bolt, replaced it, and continued on to make the trials competition. That is dedication.

Now, I hope to gather as much information as possible about the sport and make an educated trials bike purchase this spring.

Thank You!

Jon, thank you for starting the thread about the Ute Cup, we had planned to do so but had not gotten around to it.

The trials masters did a great job in setting the sections and as an added attraction, the bears that raided several participant

My family and I decided to drive from Pueblo Saturday to see what this trials stuff is all about. My impression of trials previous to this event, was shaped from watching professionals on You Tube (big rocks and insane hops). Now, I know better. We were all impressed with what we saw. We found ourselves cheering and attempting to use "the force" to help a few riders through the sections.

My family and I, saw a rider that was going through the first section 15 minutes after everyone had left. He put his foot down a few times, stopped and got his card punched. The guy had a smile on his face and was catching his breath. Apparently, he was late from his drive (from Denver) because his truck broke down in Pueblo. He told us about how he went to Lowes, bought a coordless drill, extracted a broken bolt, replaced it, and continued on to make the trials competition. That is dedication.

Now, I hope to gather as much information as possible about the sport and make an educated trials bike purchase this spring.

Thank You!

It is a pretty silly sport. We seek out places to ride that every one else wants to avoid at all costs.....

Send me a Personal Message and I'll make sure you get some good info on Trials.

Jon