Techno Brake Discs

loomesy

I have noticed that when I put the brakes on on my 97 Techno, the brake discs are not fixed solidly to the wheel hubs. There is a slight amount of movement as if the holes of the discs have 'ovalised' over the years. As a result, the brakes are not as sharp as I would like and make a noise/judder slightly.

Is this normal/do i just tighten up the disc bolts/do I need to replace the discs?

Thanks for the help.

Loomesy

Ahhh ooops, wont be undoing them any time soon (I hope anyway). I've not swung on them....hmmm we'll see.

Thanks for the replies.

One other quick one.

The front brake is quite spongy and not that powerful. Is this normal for a 97 Techno? I would rather live with it as it is than bleed the brake to find no improvement!

Cheers

No spongy is not good. You should be able to one finger to a hard stop or two finger yourself over the bars. Possible causes of spongy brakes are leaky seals in the master cylinder, weak hoses, air in the lines, bent rotor...

Are they spongy in feel at the lever or are they just weak and not stopping? If you pull the lever in does it slowly lose pressure and go to the bar? If you repeatably pump the brakes do they get better? Do they work fine after pumping at a stop but go squishy again after rolling around?

The easy answer is just air in the line. All that takes to fix is fluid and some time, then a little more time, wait a little more....

Haha yeah time although bleading rear is more often a nightmare than the front. just make sure you dont snap the nipple,

one thing i have seen and couldnt believe was, a friend of mine bought himself a Techno and his rear brake stopped working after an hour out on his new toy, he took it round to me and we started having a look and couldnt get it bled, i removed the nipple and found someone had damaged the threds in the caliper that badly that they had to cut the taper off the nipple to catch on good threads lower down, then plugged it with silocone sealant which ofcourse perrished and drew air in.

Sorry little of topic there. :D

Are they spongy in feel at the lever or are they just weak and not stopping? If you pull the lever in does it slowly lose pressure and go to the bar? If you repeatably pump the brakes do they get better? Do they work fine after pumping at a stop but go squishy again after rolling around?

They are both weak, as in stoppies are impossible even pointing downhill, and the lever is spongy. There is no loss of pressure. NOt tried the lever pumping technique, but i think a bleed is in order.

It's funny I've jsut bled the rear brake expecting the worst after reading the threads on here, but it couldn't have been easier, the old fluid practically fell out as I topped up the reservior level, and now I have strong enough brakes to lock the rear easily.

Win some and lose some I suppose