Clutch Noise

supermotodaz

Just rebuilt a 2000 290, run it up today sounds sweet, as soon as i go to put engine under load in gear terrible noise from clutch, just fitted new master because last one was damaged, clutch works fine , holds and doesn,t drag but as soon as you enguage gear and put engine under load sounds terrible.

I hadn,t had bike running before so i don,t know what the clutch was like originally. I,ve only run it up and tried to ride around garden so i don,t know if its likey to go when warmed up properly but sounds that bad i don,t wanna ride it in case its a more serious issue.

See other thread re-whine!

Cheer,s for reply, just read other thread, I actually spoke to Tony yesterday as I know him anyway.

Tried the bike today and noise just the same, no change when warm and noise very loud under load, when clutch is in or bike in neutral there,s no noise and if bikes on a stand and just under it's own load it's fine, is it a possibility it's the clutch needle bearing. I,m gonna speak to Rathmells tommorow and strip it down to see if I can find anything.

Cheer,s for reply, just read other thread, I actually spoke to Tony yesterday as I know him anyway.

Tried the bike today and noise just the same, no change when warm and noise very loud under load, when clutch is in or bike in neutral there,s no noise and if bikes on a stand and just under it's own load it's fine, is it a possibility it's the clutch needle bearing. I,m gonna speak to Rathmells tommorow and strip it down to see if I can find anything.

stripped it down today and still can,t see anything wrong, I,m gonna change clutch bearing anyway just to rule this out but don,t believe this is at fault, any ideas guys, last option I,ll have to split cases again, just looking hopefully for a simple fix.

stripped it down today and still can,t see anything wrong, I,m gonna change clutch bearing anyway just to rule this out but don,t believe this is at fault, any ideas guys, last option I,ll have to split cases again, just looking hopefully for a simple fix.

Changed clutch bearing today and still the same, only thing i can think of now is that one of the bearings although all are new is spinning in the case somewhere.

A look back on this thread and something just struck me! I do not believe the 2000 model incorporated the clutch hub with the dampening units and rivets and such.

This basically means everything in the primary drive is fixed, and you either got a good (quiet) set of gears of you did not!

The new clutch packs interchange directly, and you could try one off another bike. Exactly how much the dampened hub in itself will change noise issues i could not tell.

• 2 weeks later...
A look back on this thread and something just struck me! I do not believe the 2000 model incorporated the clutch hub with the dampening units and rivets and such.

This basically means everything in the primary drive is fixed, and you either got a good (quiet) set of gears of you did not!

The new clutch packs interchange directly, and you could try one off another bike. Exactly how much the dampened hub in itself will change noise issues i could not tell.

Your right about the hub type, and I,ve fitted new hub so there's no play either , the noise does seem excessive but until I here another 2000 model I,ve got nothing to compare it against, everything is working o.k so your diagnosis may be spot on.

Only thing that is strange if that was the case is that there,s no noise if the engine is not under load, when running through the gears on the stand it's o.k.

Edited by supermotodaz

Your right about the hub type, and I,ve fitted new hub so there's no play either , the noise does seem excessive but until I here another 2000 model I,ve got nothing to compare it against, everything is working o.k so your diagnosis may be spot on.

Only thing that is strange if that was the case is that there,s no noise if the engine is not under load, when running through the gears on the stand it's o.k.

Well, if you did that, the only thing left on the primary side would be the gear on the crank that drives the basket. Does it whine if you just load it in gear and slip the clutch, holding brake(loading the primary's, but gearbox not spinning).

• 8 months later...

Well, if you did that, the only thing left on the primary side would be the gear on the crank that drives the basket. Does it whine if you just load it in gear and slip the clutch, holding brake(loading the primary's, but gearbox not spinning).

[/quote

I know its some time sinse i posted this thread but i,ve only just had the time to get my hands back on this engine for another look and i,d like to sort it once and for all now, i havn,t tried the above yet but took clutch cover off for another inspection, primary gears clutch and kickstart gear idle all have the hardening worn off but no damage appart from that. when spinning the idle gear with clutch removed it does sound noisy against the kickstart gear but weather this is magnified to the amount i can here when running under load i don,t know.

I know its some time sinse i posted this thread but i,ve only just had the time to get my hands back on this engine for another look and i,d like to sort it once and for all now, i havn,t tried the above yet but took clutch cover off for another inspection, primary gears clutch and kickstart gear idle all have the hardening worn off but no damage appart from that. when spinning the idle gear with clutch removed it does sound noisy against the kickstart gear but weather this is magnified to the amount i can here when running under load i don,t know.

Edited by supermotodaz

I still think one needs a direct comparison to see where it is at in the scheme of things. :rolleyes:

• 5 months later...

I still think one needs a direct comparison to see where it is at in the scheme of things. :rolleyes:

I had another look at this bike today, the hard bit was getting to it at the back of the workshop, after all these months of it standing there it started second kick on crappy fuel, unfortunatley the noise is still there i wasn,t that lucky.

I tried what you sugested on another thread , started it up , had bike on a stand in gear and held on rear brake while feeding in the clutch and the whine came in as soon as the clutch started to bite.

I rode it round the garden for a bit and the whine is constant until you pull in the clutch, sounds really nice for an old bike until its under load.