Brake Caliper Question

stocks17

New to trials bikes, been riding enduro, dirt and street bike since before I could walk...

I have a 1996 Gas Gas JTR-370 that I picked up from the local gas gas dealer as a cheap intro to them, I love it so far and can see how people get addicted to the sport!

My question is, the bike has had a bit of a flogging for sure in it's past life and I don't totally intend to change that, but I do like to keep things working smoothly.

The front brake seems to drag a bit I check that the lever isn't over adjusted or something simple and it's fine. I'm thinking the caliper is sticking a bit or is seized.

Is there anything silly I'm missing here or is it pretty common?

I took it out for a good little ride for a newbie yesterday and other then a growly gear box it seems ok, Ran some trails that I would have never attempted on the enduro bikes and had a blast.

Hopefully it continues to get me hooked and I'll upgrade to something a little more modern next year!

Sounds like the pistons are sticking in the calliper due to a build up dirt and corrosion.

You can strip the calliper and clean it up, you may need to replace the piston seals. But if the bores don't clean up you may need to get a replacement calliper.

Check the pads are wearing parallel to their backing plate, if the pads are wearing at an angle it can cause the pistons in the calliper to cant at a slight angle when applied causing stiction between the calliper body & piston.

Other than that if its lack of use take the calliper off the fork and the pads out, get a toothbrush to clean any dirt/etc of the end of the pistons and give a little spray with WD40 then manually push them in, temporarily put the pads in and refit the calliper over the disk and apply the brakes to extend the pistons agene then repeat manually push them in - repeat a few times, on the final time wipe off any excess WD40 or use brake cleaner so dirt/dust wont stick to it.