A Scott tale

emmo1

It must have been in 1984 (or 85) no more than 5 miles from the finish I ploughed into a deep beck and drowned my Fantic. A guy sat on the bank (miles from a section) waded in chest deep and pulled the bike out, took my spanners from me and had it running in ten minutes. To my shame I was so exhausted and cold that I could not continue and found my way back to the start field. I still think that the guy must have been miffed that his help was for nothing.

Fast forward to yesterday - While spectating at (best not say where) a young lad had his chain derail and wrap round the front sprocket in a section. He was in a sorry state and in all honesty would have still been there without some help. My son and I dragged him out and after a bit of a struggle got the thing untangled and sent him on his way.

With due respect to Dibs and Jarvis etc the 1st name I looked for in the results was our man - did he finish? You bet.

Made a great day out even better.

good tale, id say most people would stay out the way when they see an incident like that, i could have killed a rider i knew who laughed and walked away when he saw me flood my bike one year. Still i suppose you can't expect any help in such an event.. but is an awesome gesture when people do help.

I bent the gear lever into the flywheel cover leaving Surrender. Some spectator guy managed to bend it out with a 10mm spanner, top bloke! I was on my way and finished well :) As you say without disrespect to the top guys professionalism and talent, for us lesser mortals to even finish that mammoth of a trial takes an unbelievable effort! Thanks to peoples help with drinks and shouts etc that makes it possible. Cheers!