Gearbox oil on the floor

captainslackdabber

Hi All, recently I have noticed that, following a trial, I am finding a pool of gearbox oil on the floor under the bike the next day. It is clearly coming from the breather pipe, as if there is too much oil in the box. The bike is parked leaning towards that side, but not at such an angle that the oil can pour out. Nothing has changed, I have not done anything with the oil level and the bike is parked the same as always. The oil level is not high and this has only started happening recently. Any ideas?

are you absolutley sure its coming from the breather pipe?. if so take your clutch casing off and remove centre bolt which secures the clutch to the drive shaft and check the hole through the middle of this allen bolt to make sure its not obscured with some small piece of crap and causing an obstruction to the oil flow from one side of the cases to the other. you could also check first that the gearbox final drive seal inside of your front sprocket isnt weeping just incase its that rather than from the crankcase breather.

Edited by pandelboy

Hi, yes it is coming from the breather. I checked the o/p shaft and gear selector shaft, and no traces. I couldn't work out how it was getting down to the footpeg mount. It's because the breather pipe exits just above, behind the frame downtube. There is also misting around the elbow that the breather pipe fits on to. Not done any checking behind the covers, but I guess the next job will be an oil change. With any luck, any crap that may be causing a blockage in the clutch bolt will come out with the old oil. I'm intending to take the cutch cover off over the winter for a repaint anyway, so I can have a good snoop around then.

Thanks for the help. :icon_salut: