New Project and Parts

sunny

I had an ad on the local online classifieds looking for Montesa Cota's and someone replied with the offer of what I think is 349 Montesa Frame but more importantly a 348 motor which was what I needed to fix the Cota 348 that picked up the is summer that had a broken kickstart shaft and missing counter weight flywheel. It also came with a a spare 348 tank/seat. I think I will try and sell everything minus the motor (it has been powder coated). Are there any other upgrade parts on the 349 that swap over to the 348?

Do I need a special puller to seperate the cases or just heat and tap apart?

OCT302010001.jpg

Sunny

349 is a better frame, 348 a more tractable engine in my opinion. The 349 air forks are an upgrade. I'd be putting the 348 engine into the 349.

The only thing holding the case halves together, after the mag and clutch and shifter, and flywheel and kicker etc etc is off, is the press fit of the 2 main bearings on the crankshaft. If I recall correctly, the right side of the engine should be down. Maybe get a helper to hold the engine up by the left side case and then tap on the crankshft, no heat. You won't be able to hurt that side of the crank any more than it is now....

Edited by vintageCota