ceramic coating

cunpr

Dear Experts,

I'm in the process of restoring a Frontera Mk11 370. I have also done a bit of car racing where ceramic coating of exhausts is done quite frequently. Its said to increase exhaust extraction but the main benefit is reducing under bonnet heat accumulation. Having burnt my inner thigh on my sherpa recently I am wondering whether to get the Frontera exahust ceramic coated.

Is this often done on a two stroke? Is it beneficial? Has anyone got experience of doing it?

Any thoughts welcome.

Regards

Paul Cundy

Dear All,

Well I thought I'd share with you what I've found so far. The case for coating 2 strokes is more difficult than for four strokes because two strokes rely more on their exhaust design for correct running. In Canada high performance ski mobiles tend to be coated and expect to see a 1-2% power increase, they claim better response as well. However they may be benefitting from the protection from their extreme envoirenment? Overall there doesn't seem to be any immediate barn door power benefit nor any loss. You can also ceramic coat the piston head and combustion chambers but this leads to a degredation in power at the top end, too much heat is retained in the chamber and this reduces power. Everyone agrees that reduced heat radiation from exhausts helps. So I'll probably do it and let you know what happens.

Regards

Paul C