D.I.D. alloy rims for TLM/TLR

jmo

Hi Everyone, I hope you can help...

I'm looking for a replacement rear D.I.D rim for my TLR project - I know I could buy a pair of Excel rims etc. but ideally I'd like the OE style D.I.D alloy rim to match the good condition front one I already have from a TLM (as part of my front disc conversion) - that is alloy anodized silver, rather than the gold of the TLR...

Does anyone know where I can get one from? - I've drawn a blank so far.

D.I.D do make their 'Dirt Star' rims, but these are not the same as fitted to Hondas OEM (there is also a huge waiting list I understand).

I might be able to order the older style 'replacement' rim via a Honda dealer, but they will need a frame number for a TLM (to get it in silver), unless anyone knows of another Honda model that used the D.I.D alloy rims - 18" rear 36 hole, 2.15, in silver?

Many thanks in advance!

Jenny x

ps. if anyone does have a TLM (or similar) with such a rear rim, if you'd be happy for me to use your chassis number to access the parts fiche at my dealer, then please PM me...

Hi Jenny

there is a guy on http://www.classicbikeforum.co.uk/index.php that goes by the name of hondaparts man, he works for a honda dealer, seems very knowledgeable and willing to spend a bit of time to identify parts, you could try a post on there.

alternatively, you can either polish off the annodising or have the process chemically reversed if you can get hold of a gold rim. You need to have as good look at a secondhand D.I.D rims as they are notorious for corroding from the inside especially if they have been used in trials,

You also need to check that the spoke holes have been drilled to suit your hub. The holes are drilled at an angle to suit the hub diameter and width, If the rim was drilled for use on a tapered hub (for example) the holes in the rim will be drilled at a different angle on one side of the rim. You can usually still lace the rim on but the spokes will bend at the nipple end.

good luck

Edited by alan

I have seen "non gold" rims on a TL125; the later model that appears to use the same frame and wheels/hubs as a TLR200. Images here http://tl.125.free.fr/historique%20fiche%20TL%20125JD06.htm

If you scroll down the page of the link there is a picture of the Frame number: JD06-5100328 (I think its a "1" ?????)

The TLM uses a different type of hub(s) like an RTL so the spoking pattern may not be ideal.

Edited by Esteve

Thanks guys - that is an excellent bit of investigation there Esteve!

I will give that chassis number a go...

I did wonder if the TL125R had the same wheels/hubs as the TLR200, infact there was a bike on ebay this week (non runner) that might have been good for parts - the rear wheel, and I actually like that pale blue paintwork... it's given me an idea...

Thanks again and I'll let you know how I get on...

j x

Edited by JMo