HT5 Engine settings ?

jon v8

Well the magneto went off yesterday to be rebuilt,so now I can spend a bit of time sorting other bits and pieces out.All I want to know is what the modern take on tappet clearances and ignition timing. I dont have a shop manual for it,but Don Moreley sugggests using wider than the factory 6thou in/8thou ex.From memory the igntion should be set at 1/2" BTDC at full advance.

So does anyone have any suggestions for modern day use ? Its still running a monobloc which works very well,other than that I can only assume its pretty much standard.One last question,the oil pump plunger diameters look like they are Ariel rather than the Triumph ones that get used.If I upgrade it do I go for a standard Triumph one or one of the Morgo type ones ?

hi from france

well, i own a miller replica, and ride with ariel worskshop spec : 1/2 " btdc valves clearances as described, and it runs a concentric amal.

i had trouble with a triumph plunger pump, and i 've just fitted a morgo pump.

the buke runs perfectly, smooth at bottom revs, and powerful on top.

i my opinion, those settings are good, no feedbacks for the morgo pump, i've just fitted it...wait and see..

cheers

nicolas

Gday, go with the Morgo, I have fitted a couple on the square 4's and they are good. Otherwise Draganfly can probably sort out a refurbished Ariel pump. Stick with original valve clearances but play with the timing to your hearts content. I wish I had one myself...

Cheers,

Stork

Sounds good,I'll get a Morgo pump on order,should arrive before the mag does.The mag sprocket puller i bought works a treat so it will be easy to fiddle around with the timing - cant wait to get riding it.(If and when the place thaws out a bit.)

• 1 month later...

Well I gave up waiting for the Morgo pump and cancelled the order.I just wanted to get on and ride it... Which I did,yesterday.I managed to complete the trial,all along making mental notes of things that need sorting.

The main thing that came to mind is that the Monobloc carb is fairly worn and so is difficult to keep in tune.I've looked at plenty of HT5's and seen either Concentrics or Villiers carbs used,so which is best for reliable low speed running with reasonable pickup ? being a 500 lack of power is not really an issue,and ocassionaly the Monobloc shows how sweet the HT5 engine is - other times it just dies as if its too lean.

Pro's and con's of both replacements would be greatly appreciated.

The main thing that came to mind is that the Monobloc carb is fairly worn and so is difficult to keep in tune.I've looked at plenty of HT5's and seen either Concentrics or Villiers carbs used,so which is best for reliable low speed running with reasonable pickup ?

I had the same issue a few years back, with a baffed monobloc that originally came with my HT5 engine. With new manufacture monoblocs and concentrics both available I could have gone either route but prevailing opinion was that the concentric was superior in most ways, particularly at low speed. I had a low opinion of the latter, particulary after the slide on one in my Commando self destructed and got blown out the exhaust! However, the new manufacure ones (besides being new) are apparantly of better build quality then the old OEM ones...which wouldn't be hard to do! It was only once informed of that I went with one rather then jump to a modern Mk 2 Amal, which would have been expensive (but reassuring) if not classic-competition legal everywhere!

Well,its moved on a bit this week,a new MK1 Concentric arrived yesterday.Easily fitted with a new cable I made up from a Venhill kit and a new Domino twistgrip......

All excited that I might have it running for sunday,only to find the splines on the kickstart have given up.Looking more closely it seems the previous owner forced what looks like a Japanese lever onto the shaft - the splines are quite different between the two.So now I need to make a new lever up.(Shaft splines are OK,the lever had been made of softer material.)

So it was bump started to try the carb out,and immediately I realised there will be plenty of fine tuning to do.It stutters on a snap throttle opening and ocassionally just dies when ticking over - for no apparent reason.Looks like the trusty TY250 will get used tomorrow.