Damn Good day of riding!

htrdoug

Got out midmorning today,cut two new sections in at my practice area,up to 17 or 18 sections now,will be cutting many more over the winter,

then unloaded the gasser for some playtime.was doing my turns well but couldn't climb the

rocks worth a crap due to the wet moss on them. One of my buddies was out there breaking in his brand new KTM 300

He was following me while we scouted for places to cut new routes in our hare Scramble loop(practice area is 100

acres that belongs to a co-worker of mine) Then we took off around the loop and I think I impressed him on how fast

you can actually trail ride a modern trials bike. Got back to the truck and decided to ride my vintage Fantic some.

Guy who owns the property grabs my Gasgas and says he's gonna check out one of the section I cut near a waterfall,I fire up the Fantic and

head over to the other side of the property where I cut the first section that consisted of some log crossings.KTM bud follows

me,I show him the logs and easily do my simplest line on my fantic,actually crossing the logs better than I did on my Gasser,

The harder line in the section is for my imaginary trials friends that might want to do something more difficult,I'm not

quite ready to hop logs that big yet,but I do put them into my practice sections to give me something to shoot for.

Property owner show up,says he's gotta have a trials bike,this is a major victory for me because he has always said he

mainly enjoys ripping around at high speed on his GG200 enduro and could never enjoy a trials bike,he's ridden mine before

so it's not his first time on one,he's just getting in synch with how fun they are now.I lead them up to the next section

area and just start practicing my off-camber turns on a muddy,leaf covered hillside,both guys jump in and follow my line,

Property owner easily makes the turn many times on my Gasgas,KTM is struggling to make the turn,the guys 15 years younger than me and a

very good rider so I give him a bit of trials technique and he can just almost get the big KTM around the trials turn,makes

it one time without dabbing,but his knobbies have dug my turn down exposing a small root,making it just that much harder,

I'm all for that because I can do this turn in my sleep,now it's a challenge.We then get him on my GG and let him try it a few times.

(it's his first time ever on a trials bike)I jump on my fantic and do a few more turns then head up a slick rock face,easily shooting

up it,turn around and SHANE(KTM Guy) is heading for the same rock,he pops up it perfectly and the heads up the hill where a small log(One ft diam)

is, wheelies over it and brakes his self to a stop with the back wheel on the log,then lets the front wheel drop.He rides over to us and says he's gotta have one now.

He has to wait because his new KTM shows just 3.1 hrs on the meter but he'll get a trialler for sure now.He's a old BMX "flatlander" so he'll smoke me after

he gets just the slightest amount of real trials coaching but I don't care,great to get two new converts sold on Trials!

Shane said that the trials bike felt exactly how he imagined it would,which you know when you try something new it always feels queer until you adapt,

hell,if I change bar position it feels like I don't know how to ride for a whole damn day.

Anyway,weather was great,enjoyed myself so much I just needed to share!

Does sound like good fun. I was tired enough after unloading the Christmas stuff from the attic today. Went out for a ride round the back, bounced off a few things, pulled a couple of amazing floaters thet I could not do again if my life depended upon it! Hopped the rocks in the neighbors yard, did my mandatory turns and put it back in the shed!

I need a fun day out! :rolleyes:

Does sound like good fun. I was tired enough after unloading the Christmas stuff from the attic today. Went out for a ride round the back, bounced off a few things, pulled a couple of amazing floaters thet I could not do again if my life depended upon it! Hopped the rocks in the neighbors yard, did my mandatory turns and put it back in the shed!

I need a fun day out! :rolleyes:

I hung out with family on thanksgiving, made some progress on my 309 Fantic refurbish on Friday, Xmas deco on saturday,felt like I needed to go riding sunday as I hadn't been on a bike since the last event in Newark(Awesome place and always great events!)

Also did one killer floater,as long as no one is around I can seem to do one pretty easily off this one tree at the practice spot,but put a spectator there and who know what will happen...

Yuk,now back to work :wall:

We'd love to have you up here sometime,but I think So.Indiana is a bit far to go for a play day (when we get the trails and sections all developed we may build some campsites for visitors)

Edited by htrdoug