Hi from Northern California

redcota

Looks like you have a great forum here. Lots of good information and great people. A little about me. I was blessed to be raised in Southern California so was involved in the early years of MX. Lots of pros came from our area. A person could race three days a week and ride (train) the other four if you had time for maintenance. Also was involved first hand with the Camel Pro series. A neighbor was the tuner for Eddie Lawson and Teddy Davidson when they were both novices and as thy came up through the ranks on Bultacos. Ahhhh those Saturday nights at Ascot. So I have a question for you. Just how big is Trials across the pond? Just curious. The club I'm in has about 10 or 12 events a year and 40 to 50 show up at each event. I like it that way. After awhile you get to know most everyone by first name. Kinda like an extended family. That's it for now.

The next thing you'll be saying is the sun is shining its warm weather and no real restrictions on where you ride?

Having been born and raised in the area (and started riding Trials there in 71'), I can attest that there is a good chance that (1) the sun is shining,(2) it is warm (compared to the rest of the States) and (3)that there is no chance in Hades that there are no real restrictions of the riding areas.

Welcome to the Forum, Redcota. What area do you live in?

Jon

Having been born and raised in the area (and started riding Trials there in 71'), I can attest that there is a good chance that (1) the sun is shining,(2) it is warm (compared to the rest of the States) and (3)that there is no chance in Hades that there are no real restrictions of the riding areas.

Welcome to the Forum, Redcota. What area do you live in?

Jon

Thanks Jon. I'm from Chico, and yes today the sun is shinning and it's in the mid 60's. Don't you just love it. About riding in the area. Up the hill about 30 miles in the Paradise/Magalia area there are about 1000 miles of logging roads and quite a bit of single track. It's not as good as it use to be. Across the valley maybe about 70 miles there is an OHV park. (Off Highway Park) called Stony Ford I think. It to is huge. Never been there but have a map showing trails, camping ect. And more up around Shasta. Most of the areas that are being closed are in Southern Calif. that I know of. As for trials riding areas, I can ride right out my garage door to a great practice area. Just need to respect the neighbors. Many of them are cops. And our trials competition areas range from about 150 miles to 300 miles. Got to go for now.

Thanks Jon. I'm from Chico, and yes today the sun is shinning and it's in the mid 60's. Don't you just love it. About riding in the area. Up the hill about 30 miles in the Paradise/Magalia area there are about 1000 miles of logging roads and quite a bit of single track. It's not as good as it use to be. Across the valley maybe about 70 miles there is an OHV park. (Off Highway Park) called Stony Ford I think. It to is huge. Never been there but have a map showing trails, camping ect. And more up around Shasta. Most of the areas that are being closed are in Southern Calif. that I know of. As for trials riding areas, I can ride right out my garage door to a great practice area. Just need to respect the neighbors. Many of them are cops. And our trials competition areas range from about 150 miles to 300 miles. Got to go for now.

Ah, Central Valley area. Areas to ride are still not too bad there, unlike the metropolitan populations. Stoneyford is good too, I did some tech support for some Enduro teams that ran there.

As to your question about how popular is Trials on the other side of the pond? For example, the Scottish Six-Day Trial will celebrate it's 100th year in 2011.

You'll like this forum, lots of experienced smart people here that are willing to share with newcomers.

Jon