Which 2005 Gas Gas

quick nick

Hi all. I'm a mid Inter rider in the South, that means mud not rocks. I am looking to buy a 2005 Gas Gas in the next couple of months but am not sure which one. 250, 280 or 300. I currently ride a 270 Beta but my marks go up as the going gets slimy. I am going to test both the 280 and 300 but wondered what you though ???

ive got a txt 200 and if u put in third up a slippy muddy bank it will just pull me up easy as anything and it has got just enough power for what i want it to do.

what i am trying to say is that if i was you i would also look at the gas gas 200:)

I took my 02 200 Pro to the GG test day at Buxton on Saturday with a view to comparing it to a new 300 as many of my mates think that I should have bought a bigger engined bike !

There are a lot of rocks at Hawks Nest but the rest of the grass was like an ice rink ( A muddy ice rink that is ! )

I got there late and jumped on my 200 and found plenty of grip on the cambered muddy slopes.

I am about 14 stone and I find that the 200 pulls me up anything and gets plenty of grip with the right technique. i.e. adding weight to the correct foot peg when on a muddy bank or selecting the correct gear for the conditions. The 200 does feel that little bit lighter than the bigger engined bikes and it is a bit more flickable.

The 300 that I tried on the day was a completly different feel altogether.

Really creamy when pulling me up the rocks and a smooth delivery on the mud ( with good throttle control and balance from myself of course ! )

The 300 seemed less prone to come unstuck in the mud and really felt like it had a lower centre of gravity.

I'm sure that most of the time its down to technique.

I love my 200 cos I find it very forgiving and I can grab a fair bit of throttle when I need to and it wont bite back !

I will go for a bigger engined bike next ( like the 300 ), but technique and bike setup ( Gearing, Throttle etc. ) are all considerations with any bike that you buy.

I had an 04 300 and just got an 05 280. The 280 is so much nicer to ride in my opinion, smoother and im not as affraid to give it big licks on the throttle whereas the top end on the 300 is helish.

Yeh the 300 is smooth but i think the 280 this year is smoother. i had a go on them both, Birkett also thought that the 280 is the bike this year, it carburates loads better than the 300 aswell which has got the old ducati ignition on!! had problems with that! Plus its silver. get a 280, in red its about as sexy as a trial bike can possibly be. I got gold rims on mine, looks proper bling :(