Longride advice sought

jondd21

Hi all, I am interested in getting a SY250f, maybe in longride version. As an overly mature ( nearly 50 ) novice, OK total newbie, as my wife has just reminded me !!!

A few questions please :

1. Would it be suitable to enter low grade events on the novice route ?

2. When I progress to expert level ( dreaming ) what would it take to convert the longride to a standard trials version, would it need a new tank, seat and mudguard units ?

3. Any other comments on the 2008 f model would be appreciated. Or any other make/model that might suit my requirements.

PS only other advice my wife has said I should mention is that I am 6ft and the wrong side of 18 stone at the moment, but she still love me !

Thats until she finds out how much I want to spend on a bike !

Thanks in advance.

be boring .. it'll pay dividends in the long run. ride what everybody else does, they do it because the stuffs reliable parts are easily obtained, all thier mates know how to fix em so go to trials see what everyone rides scan the results on here and TMX.

two brands will stand out.. one capacity.. one type of engine

as for starting at 50 check out the gallery and tell me how many are under 50.. ( we've an 80 year old that rides every weekend!) and as for pushing the scales to the max.. pah all the better for getting through the mud to the grip and for crushing those pesky rocks..

The longride version is perfectly acceptable in a club trial, but unless you intend to ride it far there's no major advantage over the standard trials version. That said, it is easy to convert if you wish to.

As far as the 250F is concerned, some may disagree but I found it harder to ride than the 2t version. ie I would loose more marks on the F than the S.

Try to blag a go on both before you buy if you can.

Pete

I currently have an 06 sy250 with both a standard tank and a long ride kit. I am a 48 year old int. rider. The long ride kit is great for club trials events. The only downside is that it takes a little longer to change the air filter and it is not the great advantage on the trail as I hoped if you are a taller rider. Your knees seem to be in your chin.As for the 2 and 4 stroke question. I started out 2 years ago on 2 strokes and have recently picked up a 4rt Montesa. The 4 stroke does seem a little more dificult to ride as there is engine graking to deal with. I seem to be catcching on well but it is different. I dont feel that a 4 stroke ofers big advantages to my riding by any means but I mdo like playing with it. I would recomend staying away from big power bikes (300's ect.) as these bikes have a little more mpunch at the top that you dont need or want for a while in my opinion. The sy250 is a great motor for a new rider. The bike is like a tractor and very dependable. I picked up the montesa for fun. I doubt I will sell the Scorpa as irt is a great bike. It is not world class but more than capable for a club rider up to advanced level anyway.

Have fun!

Hello,

I have both 08-SY250 and 08-SY250F.And I have long ride kit for both of them.

It's very easy to suich original and long ride.

My wife 35 years old newbie.She ride She also rides them.

She likes SY250 more basically better than SY250F leaving aside the presence of the long ride kit.

She says,it is easy to be lighter SY250 and to treat,and its engine characteristic is also calm.

However, SY250F is very desirable for her to run on a long Hill climb and the road.

It is very powerful, and has the good stability. I also think so.

If I tolk about long ride kits, both of those seats are also very small, and sitting feelings are the worst.

Especially, it becomes very heavy if it installs it in SY250. And, it cruelly obstructs the kinematic performance.

We think,it is still better to bind the cushion in my hips and to shoulder the fuel tank than to put it on SY250. Therefore, we are not using them now.