Hello from me

curt531

Hi everyone, I am new to the sport, in fact so new I don't have a bike yet ! spent many years competing in mx & road race but now fancy a bash at trials, I have been looking at the Beta Rev3 250 & the Gas Gas 250, any advice would be great as I don't want to buy something that is not suitable.

cheers Paul.

I was in the same boat, just 8 weeks ahead of you. I raced enduro for a number of years.

I got lots of advice at the time and here is the stuff i think was relevant.

I'm 10.5 stone and a 250 is easily enough for me despite my yearning for something bigger.

Despite rumours, all the manufacturers have small issues... I would have considered anything from the main names (Sherco, Scorpa, GasGas or Beta). I spoke to a few of the manufacturers and although they were all helpful, the Lampikns shine out on customer service (Beta).

OEM spares are very expensive compared to the mass produced bikes...Therefore condition is everything, buy as new as you can afford.

As a beginner its going to be a while before the bike is the limiting factor so dont think you have to have the latest Whiz Bang.

Like MX the square edge on the tyres is important, although it is more common to turn the tyre 180 deg.

Dont worry if the bike isnt road registered, not many trials require this.

I used the coating on the forks, condition of the pegs, header pipe, rubbing on the frame, state of the disks/chain/sprockets/tyres to tell me how it had been looked after.

I was in the same boat, just 8 weeks ahead of you. I raced enduro for a number of years.

I got lots of advice at the time and here is the stuff i think was relevant.

I'm 10.5 stone and a 250 is easily enough for me despite my yearning for something bigger.

Despite rumours, all the manufacturers have small issues... I would have considered anything from the main names (Sherco, Scorpa, GasGas or Beta). I spoke to a few of the manufacturers and although they were all helpful, the Lampikns shine out on customer service (Beta).

OEM spares are very expensive compared to the mass produced bikes...Therefore condition is everything, buy as new as you can afford.

As a beginner its going to be a while before the bike is the limiting factor so dont think you have to have the latest Whiz Bang.

Like MX the square edge on the tyres is important, although it is more common to turn the tyre 180 deg.

Dont worry if the bike isnt road registered, not many trials require this.

I used the coating on the forks, condition of the pegs, header pipe, rubbing on the frame, state of the disks/chain/sprockets/tyres to tell me how it had been looked after.

All good advice :thumbup:

One of the weak points on all trials bikes that have a link/rocker in the rear suspension is the bearings/bushes in the links.

They are made without a grease nipple to save weight but are often overlooked by owners, if there is a lot of free play, or if they are seized it can be a very expensive job to sort out. Look out for this and price the parts before you make an offer, as a full kit they can be very expensive.

Running a trials bike is cheap, especially compared to road racing, you can send less in a whole year on trials than you would spend in just one race meeting!

Pete

• 4 weeks later...

well after loads of looking I final parted with my money, I am now the proud owner of a Gas Gas TXT 250 PRO 2005.Picked it up today from BVM moto in Stroud,nice freindly lot. I have only run round the road where i live but first impression is good. the bikes obviously been looked after but needs a little TLC . what i have noticed is that the clutch is dragging slightly at stand still making it very difficult to get neutral and both front & rear brakes are also dragging a bit,I'm sure it's just adjustment but not had time to do anything to it just yet. so once I have had time to pamper it all I have to do is learn to ride it :)

any advice any of you might have would be much appreciated.

cheer Paul.