New to Trials

exobyte

Hi all, I've only been riding bikes about 2 months, started by sharing my friends Montesa Cota 315R(97) and have recently bought myself a Gas Gas JTX 270(97), so far have managed to get out for 1 days worth of riding which was really good and to be honest I do prefer my my bike as I'm 6'2" and the handle bars seem to be a little further away and unlike the Montesa I don't feel like I'm going to go over the handle bars everytime I brake hard.

The biggest problem I'm having is trying to get good info on the type of oil I should use in the gearbox/transmission, someone where I went trials biking had the 250cc version of my bike and they said to use 10w 40 but on Gas Gas website it says "Always 5W30 (Not 10W40), 350cc for the Pro, 650cc for other models, normal motor oil (Castrol/Penzoil etc). It is not recommended to use synthetic oil." The nearest I've found is 5w 30 semi synthetic, but on the castrol website it says to use 800cc of MTX Part Synthetic.

I'm also unable to find a manual for my bike online.

Someone please help.

Many thanks,

Andy

Hi, if gas gas say 650ml, then put in 650ml of atf.

hope this helps.

cheers

Thanks for the reply, I would go with what's on the Gas Gas site but according to castrol 800ml is the Manufacturer's recommendation and says REFER TO TECHNICAL, which I would if I could find some sort of manual online.

Everyone and every site says something slightly different, why can't this be as simple as I think it should be.

Hi all, I've only been riding bikes about 2 months, started by sharing my friends Montesa Cota 315R(97) and have recently bought myself a Gas Gas JTX 270(97), so far have managed to get out for 1 days worth of riding which was really good and to be honest I do prefer my my bike as I'm 6'2" and the handle bars seem to be a little further away and unlike the Montesa I don't feel like I'm going to go over the handle bars everytime I brake hard.

The biggest problem I'm having is trying to get good info on the type of oil I should use in the gearbox/transmission, someone where I went trials biking had the 250cc version of my bike and they said to use 10w 40 but on Gas Gas website it says "Always 5W30 (Not 10W40), 350cc for the Pro, 650cc for other models, normal motor oil (Castrol/Penzoil etc). It is not recommended to use synthetic oil." The nearest I've found is 5w 30 semi synthetic, but on the castrol website it says to use 800cc of MTX Part Synthetic.

I'm also unable to find a manual for my bike online.

Someone please help.

Many thanks,

Andy

Hi Andy!

As you have found, it can be really confusing, especially for the early models as I don't think there were hardcopy owner's manuals available (until early 2000 maybe?) (I never got one with my 96' 370).

From my experience and all the information I have gathered, here's what seems to work well in your 97':

ATF (Dexron automatic transmission fluid) or a light, non-synthetic motor oil. ATF is around 7.5 weight and a lighter viscosity oil works better with Trials clutches. I always used the Dexron in my 96' with very good results and changed it about every 10-15 hours of use or after a wet Trial. The factory recc. is 700cc's but 650cc's seems to give slightly better clutch action for some reason. From what I understand, the reason full-synthetic is not recommended is that the factory that makes the fiber plates (in Germany, I think) has reason to believe that moisture reacts with some synthetics and creates an acid condition that may attack the bonding agent holding the fiber to the steel plate.

Putting oil back in the engine is a real pain. I've always used this funnel/hose thingy I made that attaches with a wire to the fuel cap. It has saved me countless spills. The drainplugs are aluminum and strip easy so use a new Allen wrench or cut 5mm off the tip of an old one. Allen tips wear with use (the flutes round off) and most complaints of poor capscrew material stripping out is really the result of a poorly maintained tool.

http://www.trialspartsusa.com/tech.html has a lot of good information for your bike and will prove helpful.

Jon

post-2532-0-16985200-1296746184.jpg

Hi Andy!

As you have found, it can be really confusing, especially for the early models as I don't think there were hardcopy owner's manuals available (until early 2000 maybe?) (I never got one with my 96' 370).

From my experience and all the information I have gathered, here's what seems to work well in your 97':

ATF (Dexron automatic transmission fluid) or a light, non-synthetic motor oil. ATF is around 7.5 weight and a lighter viscosity oil works better with Trials clutches. I always used the Dexron in my 96' with very good results and changed it about every 10-15 hours of use or after a wet Trial. The factory recc. is 700cc's but 650cc's seems to give slightly better clutch action for some reason. From what I understand, the reason full-synthetic is not recommended is that the factory that makes the fiber plates (in Germany, I think) has reason to believe that moisture reacts with some synthetics and creates an acid condition that may attack the bonding agent holding the fiber to the steel plate.

Putting oil back in the engine is a real pain. I've always used this funnel/hose thingy I made that attaches with a wire to the fuel cap. It has saved me countless spills. The drainplugs are aluminum and strip easy so use a new Allen wrench or cut 5mm off the tip of an old one. Allen tips wear with use (the flutes round off) and most complaints of poor capscrew material stripping out is really the result of a poorly maintained tool.

http://www.trialspartsusa.com/tech.html has a lot of good information for your bike and will prove helpful.

Jon

Thank you and everyone else that has helped me out, think the funnel modification thing is a great idea and will be making myself one.

Thanks again,

Andy.