gas gas pro 280

kev99

hi all,

i have a tx pro 280 04 and can change up gears no prob but it wont change down i can stop the engine some times it works but now it refuses to change down . any ideas? as i am new to this bike

cheers kev

hi all,

i have a tx pro 280 04 and can change up gears no prob but it wont change down i can stop the engine some times it works but now it refuses to change down . any ideas? as i am new to this

cheers kev

Kev,

It's probably that the shift drum centering spring needs adjustment. This video (towards the end) should help: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A80n7zq80n8 .

Jon

it will be the top hat thats broken.will have to take the clutch cover assy of and you will find it in there.a common fault if you hit the gear lever hard with a rock.

You probably mean the centering spring bushing tab broken. The spring bushing (where the spring resides) really does look like a top hat though, maybe we'll have to be more specific about which "top hat" we're talking about in the future, the centering spring top hat or the servo cylinder top hat.:P

What Ormplus refers to is the centering spring assembly that slides on the end of the shift shaft. Part of it looks like a top hat with a thin bar across the "top of the hat" that slides into a slot on the end of the shift shaft. If you are lucky, the end tabs of that bar will break off from the "hat" when the shifter takes a big hit and save damage to the shift racheting mechanism in the shift drum.

I thought about, that but since there was no mention of the shifter flopping around and still able to shift one way, I assumed the centering spring was the problem.

Jon

• 5 months later...

You probably mean the centering spring bushing tab broken. The spring bushing (where the spring resides) really does look like a top hat though, maybe we'll have to be more specific about which "top hat" we're talking about in the future, the centering spring top hat or the servo cylinder top hat.:P

What Ormplus refers to is the centering spring assembly that slides on the end of the shift shaft. Part of it looks like a top hat with a thin bar across the "top of the hat" that slides into a slot on the end of the shift shaft. If you are lucky, the end tabs of that bar will break off from the "hat" when the shifter takes a big hit and save damage to the shift racheting mechanism in the shift drum.

I thought about, that but since there was no mention of the shifter flopping around and still able to shift one way, I assumed the centering spring was the problem.

Jon

JSE what would the problem be if the shifter was flopping around only my bike has this problem today and i need to get it fix asap it was flopping around to start with but now it wont de select out of gear

Hope u can help asap mate

JSE what would the problem be if the shifter was flopping around only my bike has this problem today and i need to get it fix asap it was flopping around to start with but now it wont de select out of gear

Hope u can help asap mate

I'm guessing a broken tab on the "top hat" that the centering spring is on (under the clutch basket). If it's that, it's a good thing as it kept the shock from being transfered to the internals in the shift drum or the shaft forks (both expensive to replace).

Jon

I'm guessing a broken tab on the "top hat" that the centering spring is on (under the clutch basket). If it's that, it's a good thing as it kept the shock from being transfered to the internals in the shift drum or the shaft forks (both expensive to replace).

Jon

hello had same problem on 04 250 was something in the gear selection do dar had to take it to shop to sort took a coupple of day to get parts and fix cost