RTL Kickstart Ratchet

barfy

The kickstart on my 1989 RTL seems to not engage most of the time when kicking it over when cold. When the engine gets up to temperature it is fine.

We split the engine a couple of weeks ago. The ratchet and pinion do seem a little warn, but excellent condition for 22 years of service. We replaced all the washers, springs and collars, but it seems to have made no difference.

Does anyone have any ideas what might be going on?

Barfy

Have tried what you say with 4 motors,and not a noticible outward movement as you suggest !

Thanks so much Motomike. It looks like I've put something together wrong on the kick start shaft.

Mine is doing it almost every kick. When it's warm it seems much better but not good.

There is a shaped washer on the shaft so when I split the engine I might try that the other way round. I've just ordered all the springs and washers, so when they arrive I'll split the engine.

Mine is doing it almost every kick. When it's warm it seems much better but not good.

There is a shaped washer on the shaft so when I split the engine I might try that the other way round. I've just ordered all the springs and washers, so when they arrive I'll split the engine.

Barfy

Is it a late motor that you have problems with ? disc brake bike.