Just bought a Scorpa SY250

broony

Recently bought a '03 Scorpa SY 250,rode it yesterday at my first trial,

first time on a proper trials bike,first ride of the bike.What a cracking

bike,will take a bit of getting used too.A couple of quick questions as

I'm going to strip it down and give it a wee service-what number of NGK

plug fits?,what type of oil in the gearbox(TQF)?

cheers the noo Brian

Congrats on the SY. I had an 07...best engine ever...best turner ever. It is a bit heavy compared to otherbikes, but for club level...its the bullet. RYP is great to deal with as is the Tryals Shop. That dude at the Tryals Shop can diagnose any issue you have over the phone....he's great. Either of these guys can tell you the best plugs/oils...I was at a recent National and spoke to the RYP guys...they gave me this wierd, radial-elotroded plug (sic)...it worked great.

Yep great bike, absolute revelation compared to the TL125 I rode before that. got the TL so I could blame the bike if I was no good but there were just too many issues with the TL.

I just jump on the SY and ride. When it becomes a bit cranky over starting I clean the plug... and that's it. Oh I had to change the rear wheel bearings and the gearbox drain plug has as much structural integrity as squeezed together chocolate bar wrapper so change that too if it hasn't been done already.

Replace it with this:-

http://www.thehellteam.com/catalogue/c18/c113/p102

yes all the way from Australia. Order it and then replace when the new part arrives. You'll probably get one shot at taking the old one out.

Have fun :thumbup:

Whilst I was stripping the bike down I have noticed

the airbox doesn't have a lid.The previous owner had

fitted a piece of rubber only letting about an inch

and a half air intake.Is there supposed to be a lid

or does the seat base seal the box?Since getting the

SY I have also discovered that I still bounce quite

well for a 45 year old :) .

cheers the noo Brian

There's no lid on the airbox mate, at least mine hasn't got one either.

Can be a bit of an issue if you're using a pressure cleaner and/or driving in extremly muddy conditions.

I actually had a significant amount of water and fine sand :( in the airbox, after hosing the bike down for the first time.

Since then, I fitted an extra foam pad behind the airbox (that is squeezed into place by the rear mudguard) to keep water and dirt out of harms way. Works fine so far.

Happy bouncing

Cheers Tom

Hi. Sorry if my reply is a bit messed up. Don't know if I've done this right. My 2002 SY250 Long Ride was running horribly at the end of my last weekend. I had gone through quite a bit of water with it, and it was acting like it ran out of fuel. When I got it home, I found the air filter full of dirt and mud and soaked with water. Had to take the carb off and clean it out and after cleaning the filter, I laid a bead of silicone between the airbox and fender in a pattern like an arrow to prevent the water thrown from the rear tire getting into the airbox. Used some grease on the fender to keep it from sticking to that part, and cleaned and scuffed the airbox so the silicone would stick to it. Haven't used it on a ride since, but I think that will be the solution. Also watch where you're spraying the bike with water after your rides. Keep it out of the exhaust and airbox areas.

Thanks AME,I used some self adhesive foam to make a seal

between the airbox and mudguard.When I was cleaning the carb

I found a blob of water in the float bowl.Hopefully the foam

will help keep the water out.

cheers the noo Brian

With mudguard on, make a cardboard template that fits against the back of the airbox and scibe to underside of mudguard.

Place template on top of rubber strip and cut about 3mm bigger.

Screw rubber to back of airbox with self tappers, and then fit mudguard...you have to push down onto the rubber to get it to line up but it makes a good seal.

This is what I did and don't get a drop of water in there !

Just whistle the Blue-Peter theme tune as you're doing it and you'll be done in no time.