02 sherco, Fuel Tap Block

hrcmonty

Hi Guys,

The Block where the Fuel Tap bolts onto, that is glued onto the Tank body has come away.

Has anybody succesfully glued this back on and if so how?

It is on a friends tank, the first time round i've used araldite, but he thinks when putting the tank back on he has either knocked it again, enough to take it off. Or the petrol has slowly been eating away at the adhesive.

Araldite do say that their Rapid range has good resistance to petrol.

Thoughts and ideas please, and not the obvious of buying a new tank. :thumbup:

Edited by hrc_monty

Yes it can be glued. There are some other threads about it in the Sherco section.

I left the fuel hose connected to the tank while messing around changing a plug. Usually the tank would balance on the frame and seat, but not this time, the tank was fairly full and as soon as it fell, it was left hanging by the hose. :gay:

Following someone elses advice on here I bought some Q-bond ultra strong adhesive. It is a normal looking clear super glue but comes with a seperate strengthener, clear for plastic and grey for metals. It does say it is Petrol And Oil Resistant, and heat resistant upto 180 degrees.

Not sure what modern araldite is like, may be just as good.

To take off the block I slowly rocked it left to right with some mole grips and it broke loose. I cleaned around the block and removed any excess glue that was left and stuck it back on, once it was firmly on I ran around the outside edge with more glue. I've been out about a dozen times on the bike since and have no leaks.

Its also worth investing in a cheap tube of super glue remover (pound shop) as I was messy and the glue ran down the side of the tank onto the paint work, I rubbed the glue remover on with my finger, left it ten minutes and it wiped off with no damage to the paintwork.

Rich