Should i want a Scorpa?

hoggyf

I had a feeling the early ones were different but wasn't sure how, thanks for that.

Also be aware that the Yamaha powered models came in two flavors. Naming was not always consistent, and differed depending on which country they went to, but it basically boiled down to flywheel weight. In the US, I would order the regular SY250, which had a heavier flywheel. What was often referred to as the SY250 Race, or SY250R, came with a lighter flywheel. Makes a big difference in how the bike performs.

They all have their pluses and minuses. I had 4 GG's, a Beta and two Fantics before my '08 SY250R. They all had their good and bad traits. My Scorpa isn't perfect, but it does everything I ask of it, and there's something about that suspension. Mines got the aluminum Marriocchi (?) forks. No dog bone bearings in the rear end to have to replace constantly either.

Can't quite put my finger on it how it does it, but it's saved my bacon more than a couple of times. Once was last year on the Five Miles of Hell. Got off line and ended up having to jump a huge gap (or drop off a cliff!) So I gassed it and over it went. I never even saw that stinking foot high stump till it was going under the air born front tire. I knew I was going to biff it, but the rear end smacked that stump and soaked it up like it was barely there. If there had been a seat on the thing I'm sure I would have puckered it right off!

I love that Yamaha engine too. I dropped the countershaft sprocket one tooth which makes second and third gear more useable.

hello...ridgrunr....noticed you mentioned you had the aluminum forks.....have you ever ridden an earlier scorpa to notice the difference in front end weight ?

can you loft the front end easier ?...........................masso