Bet Rev3 2002 running problems

dirtybike

Help !!!

I bought a 2002 Rev3 250 in December to go out and enjoy with my son on his Gasgas 125, had some great fun on it until now.

Basically, it runs like a bag of spanners !, smokes like a BBQ and is terrible to start.

It over runs when the throttle is closed, bogs down on pick up and is a pig to start when warm. It needs choke to start it in any condition. It runs very lumpy too.

I have used the same fuel mix on both bikes and that has not changed, I have cleand and checked the carb and set the float arms as per the advice posted from Billy Traynor. could it be a jet problem ir a needle wear issue ?

Any advice would be very welcome before I loose interest or the plot

Gday, it is unlikely that you have jet wear problems as they wont affect starting, hot or cold. There is a whole host of other issues you might have, most likely is a blocked pilot (slow) circuit but the best place to start is to pull out the the spark plug and tell us what you see (colour, type etc) and we can go from there.

Cheers,

Stork

Edited by Stork955

Gday, it is unlikely that you have jet wear problems as they wont affect starting, hot or cold. There is a whole host of other issues you might have, most likely is a blocked pilot (slow) circuit but the best place to start is to pull out the the spark plug and tell us what you see (colour, type etc) and we can go from there.

Cheers,

Stork

Hiya,

Dirty and black even after 10 mins on a new one

Gday, given that the bike has the correct plug recheck your pilot jet and passages and check the gear oil level like NZRalphy said. Crank seals will cause the smoking. It will also pay to clean the exhaust system front to rear, this wont fix the starting issues but will help the bike run like it did when new after the other issues are sorted.

Cheers,

Stork

Gday, given that the bike has the correct plug recheck your pilot jet and passages and check the gear oil level like NZRalphy said. Crank seals will cause the smoking. It will also pay to clean the exhaust system front to rear, this wont fix the starting issues but will help the bike run like it did when new after the other issues are sorted.

Cheers,

Stork

Cheers chaps, I will pull it apart tomorrow and check out your pointers. The Exhaust drips thick black oil where the rear section meets the tail section after an hour or so running. I have cleaned out the front pipe, how do I clean the mid section, I take it replacing the packing on the rear section is the best option ?

Cheers chaps, I will pull it apart tomorrow and check out your pointers. The Exhaust drips thick black oil where the rear section meets the tail section after an hour or so running. I have cleaned out the front pipe, how do I clean the mid section, I take it replacing the packing on the rear section is the best option ?

Hey Stork,

RESULT !!

She is now thumping like she should. You were right, Primary jet blocked. I also lowered the main jet needle one notch. Runs and ticks over like a dream.

Still have a little smoke, but I am hoping that will burn off after a long run.

Thanks mate, sometimes you get blinded by the "bleedin obvious"

She should be good for a few months now until I get an Evo