James Dabill talks about his Centenary win

ssdt news

altWhen James Dabill’s - Beta name was read out as the winner of the 2011 Scottish Six Days Trial (SSDT) late last Saturday evening, his wide smile told the story. After enduring six days of highs and lows the current British trials champion took a moment to fully absorb the scale of his achievement, having claimed victory at the centenary edition of this legendary event. James first added his name to the prestigious award back in 2007, when he took the win onboard his Montesa Cota 4RT and recorded the first four stroke victory since Alan Lampkin and his 250 BSA’s success way back in 1966.

In taking his second SSDT title, the twenty five year old has handed Italian manufacturer, Beta their fourth consecutive win in the Scottish Highlands in as many years. With Dougie Lampkin having won in both 2008 and 2009, and the young pretender Alexz Wigg claiming victory in 2010, Dabill completed the four year sweep by claiming the victory in 2011. After a series of slightly disappointing results at the SSDT since his success in 2007, James finished third in 2008, fourth during 2009 and a lonely sixth last year, Dabill knew he had it all to do this time around.

Onboard a new machine and with renewed confidence the Beta teamster started the week slowly finishing the opening day in fifth place. It was during the fourth day of competition that James finally saw his name reach the top of the leader board, where it stayed until the bitter end. After the event Dabill spoke about his victory. “To take my second SSDT win feels absolutely unbelievable, this event means so much to so many people and to lift the trophy at the centenary edition is more special than I can explain.”

“The sections have been really slippery today so it was obvious from the start that I was going to drop some marks, but I’m really pleased with how I’ve ridden all week to be honest. Over the past couple of years I have struggled to get into the swing of things, but I tried to stay strong this week. I started the week confident that I could fight for the win and even after the first day when I was lying down in fifth overall I still knew I was in with a chance, as anything can happen in Scotland, that is what makes it so special.”

“The start of this year was hard for me, I had a new bike and a new team, plus I lost my minder Jack Lee so there was a lot to take in. I took the Indoor series with a pinch of salt and looked at them as a learning curve and kept my head high. Coming to Scotland you need confidence and after claiming the first two rounds of the British Championship that is what I had. Next weekend is the opening round of the World Championship in Germany and I’ll be looking to carry through my good results.”

“Since the start of the season I’ve really worked hard and I think this victory shows that it is all starting to pay off. Winning the SSDT is an amazing feeling any year, but the fact this year celebrates the centenary makes it all the more special,” concluded James.

View the full article on the SSDT Website