TY175 Knocking noise

mrshells

See HEREand download either section 3 PDF that relates to the engine, or the rest also for ref.

Page 93 is what you want to know.

I saved off the Yamaha Sport the parts list, this item is the shims as:

132-11561-00-03 SHIM, CRANK (25.5-35-0.3) U. R.

132-11561-00-05 SHIM, CRANK (25.5-35-0.5) 1

136-11561-00-03 SHIM, CRANK (20-30-0.3)

136-11561-00-04 SHIM, CRANK (20-30-0.4) U. R.

136-11561-00-05 SHIM, CRANK (20-30-0.5)

136-11561-00-06 SHIM, CRANK (20-30-0.6)

136-11561-00-07 SHIM, CRANK (20-30-0.7)

These part numbers may differ per country, as these are for Nth America

Thanks for that

I have the shim sizes and I know where to put them

but what i dont know is how much clearance should be and how to measure it

the crank is assembled with the aid of a puller into the bearing which has allredy been fitted into the left side case.

There is a shim on both sides of the crank between the crank cheek and the bearing.

The crank is technically in a fixed lateral position in the left case and any expansion is all transferred to movement in and out of the right side case

I can measure the inside of the cases when the crank is removed

and I can measure the crank at the assembly point

but what i dont know is what size clearance there should be so i can work out what size shims are neede

does that make sense ?

Thanks for that

I have the shim sizes and I know where to put them

but what i dont know is how much clearance should be and how to measure it

the crank is assembled with the aid of a puller into the bearing which has allredy been fitted into the left side case.

There is a shim on both sides of the crank between the crank cheek and the bearing.

The crank is technically in a fixed lateral position in the left case and any expansion is all transferred to movement in and out of the right side case

I can measure the inside of the cases when the crank is removed

and I can measure the crank at the assembly point

but what i dont know is what size clearance there should be so i can work out what size shims are neede

does that make sense ?

When you refit the crank in the left hand side of the cases as you know a shim is placed on and then the crank shaft is knocked or pressed in, it should be a tight fit so from that point it should not float. I think the other shim on the other end should be of a size so that when the other half of the case is fitted there should be minimal gap should float occur, personally I would be looking for about a 3 or 4 thou potential gap if possible, but how you would be able to measure any float with one end fixed it would not be possible unless the crank moves which it should not. I do know that sometimes you have to give the drive end a sharp blow with a mallet to push the crank across to clear the flywheel from the back plate when fitting electronic ignition, so its a known thing that it should be static under normal conditions.

When you refit the crank in the left hand side of the cases as you know a shim is placed on and then the crank shaft is knocked or pressed in, it should be a tight fit so from that point it should not float. I think the other shim on the other end should be of a size so that when the other half of the case is fitted there should be minimal gap should float occur, personally I would be looking for about a 3 or 4 thou potential gap if possible, but how you would be able to measure any float with one end fixed it would not be possible unless the crank moves which it should not. I do know that sometimes you have to give the drive end a sharp blow with a mallet to push the crank across to clear the flywheel from the back plate when fitting electronic ignition, so its a known thing that it should be static under normal conditions.

Thanks again Andy

Ive ordered genuine rod kit and seals today probably wont get chance to go see the crank builder in derby till next week so watch this space Ill keep you informed

john

• 3 years later...