Clutch Drag

charliechitlins

One of my old riding buddies from where I used to live is lost without his underpaid mechanic (me), and he's having trouble with the clutch dragging on his late ('02, '03?) Scorpa. Major drag...he has to be rolling to put it in gear.

He'll probably haul it REAL far for me to fix while he stands there, so there will be no option to not get it fixed.

Anybody experienced this? The clutch problem, I mean...not somebody who isn't paying you staring over your shoulder.

I know how to check all the basic stuff, but does anybody know anything peculiar to Scorpa clutches?

It's been a while since I've seen the bike, but he says there's no bleeder on the clutch slave. Possible?

Don't want to state the obvious but has he changed his oil? Its a sure sign on my SY that the oil is shagged when I select a gear (usaually from cold) and the bike trundles round with the clutch in.

What oil are you using?

Although...he stays in pretty good contact with Komer, and I'm pretty sure he put in fresh, recommended oil.

It can drag like that in cold weather for the first five to ten seconds especially if the oil is thick and/or old. It will also drag if there is too much oil in there.

First try changing the oil. I believe the recommended amount is 650 ml but it works much better at 500-550 ml. Maybe there is too much in there now.

• 3 weeks later...

I had exactly the same problem on my '02 model. I stripped the clutch basket down, lightly sanded the ferodo'ed plates using some wet and dry on a flat surafce as they looked a bit too polished and reassembled it all. I put in some fresh oil at the recommended level. Worked for me.