Broken Kick Start - The fun continues

gilbertdave

Unfortunately it is the 'how long is a piece of string' syndrome.

I had the unfortunate experiences years ago of submerging Enduro bike up to the 'bars' in welsh bogs ... needing the usual spark plug out..bike upside down..turn rear wheel in top gear to pump out water..then many kicks to restart method.

First time with a Husky 390 ..got away with it..no problems for next 2 years of ownership.

Second time with KTM 300 ... no problems for 6 months then timing side main bearing failure..stripped down and fortunately crank bearing OK ... just fit new mains & seals.

Also know of others who had similar 'some you win some you loose' experiences.

Good news ...if you can call it that ... is that several main bearing to one crank failure.

Seems to depend on luck really.

Your call on whether to strip down.... time and parts cost.

If you do ... then may as well do mains & seals... and while you are in there final drive bearing & seal also ... etc. etc.

Personally, I'd see how it goes...as costs can mount up quickly

All the best

Hmmm, well I think I'd agree with "see how it goes" for the time being.

In the mean time, still no parts! Aaaargh. So onwards with the list.

Today we stripped down the front end and I replaced the front wheel bearings which was easy enough. Also fairly satisfying as the bearings that came out were all graunchy and rough and now it is smooth and lovely. Triffic.

Then on to the front brakes. They were binding and not braking very consistently. I had previously had a go at the caliper and was fairly happy it was functioning properly so attention turned to the disc. The free spinning wheel would highlight that the brakes rub at a certain point suggestig the disc was bent. We took the disc off and clamped it in the lathe and spun it manually to clock the deflection of the disc. I was straight to within about 0.25mm which is pleasing for something that gets hot and cold lots and has done so for the last ten years. But it didn't solve the problem...

After some umming and arrrring we spotted that two of the six retaining washers / top hats the held the disc were slightly different. What it meant was that the disc was being clamped and not floating. Bingo bango. I've currently added some super thin washers which seem ok. I will replace with a proper part in due course. But now the wheel spins beautifully with a reasurringly constant sound of the pads just kissing the disc. Good job. :guinness:

When then started on the forks. The seals are weeping ever so slightly and I want to add a heavier oil (to counteract my considerable bulk!). Dismantling the forks from the bike was straight forward enough and getting the internals out of the forks was ok too...

IMG_0442-Copy_819x614.jpg

I was fairly surprised that the oil didn't drain out of the drain plug at the bottom, rather it poured out all over my hands. But hey ho. We followed the tips on gasgas.com to replace the seals and were pleasantly surpised at the effectiveness of a oil filter tool at removing to the top part of the shock. It worked a dream.

Getting the retaining clip out was a bit of a bitch but it was eventually acheived with the application of aggression ;)

We found a peice of aluminium which was a perfect piece for slowly pulling the seal into position.

IMG_0444-Copy_819x614.jpg

IMG_0445-Copy_819x614.jpg

By gently tightening the screw, the seal seated really nicely.

For ease of replacement in the future we ground a point on one end of the clip. This should allow better access to stick a screwdriver in there to release it next time.

That was about that for this evening... Fingers crossed the parts arrive tomorrow and I can bunk off work in the afternoon to get it all put back together. :thumbup:

So, the new bits arrived Friday afternoon and so we set to it in the few hours after work and before "pub o clock" Some of the work spilled over to Saturday morning but all was done in time for the trial at Beazley End (which I enjoyed very much !)

We finished assembling the forks and rebuilt them onto the bike. I don't know what oil they had in before but I added 10W in an attempt to account for me being heavy. Re-assembling the front end was more complicated than I'd anticipated, but we got there with some presistance.

The kick start also took some effort as a "key member of my technical team" / Dad, forgot which order the parts came off in. But, we get it there.

And... a few uncharacteristic kicks, it fired into life! I rode for a few mintues round the front garden and all seemed ok, so it was packed onto the car and back to mine for a power nap before the trial (i was up at 5:30 on Saturday morning for some much needed overtime!)

The bike behaved well at the trial, started when it should etc, no loss of fluids etc. So, I was really happy.

There was only one downside, I passed someone and they stopped me to ask if I was the bloke on the blue Gas Gas? Which obvioulsy I was and they had heard me ride past and were concerned that my bike rattled a bit too much. I asked the question of a trusted ear and was advised that the top end is knackered. It seems the wallet is not due a rest yet!

Apparently piston slap is the problem? The remedy sounds like the best part of

Hello again

Looks like a never ending saga...

Sorry to sound like Captain Doomster...but looks like you've discovered how quickly bike spare parts deplete the wallet.

No idea how much your 'into it for' money wise so far..and not my business either!!

I've been down that road myself with a TY175 for my son several years ago....never ending...you have to make the call yourself for when to stop...before it gets out of control.

FYI - years ago a friend restored a Suzuki 'singing kettle' road bike...no idea if you know what it was....ended up a real 'minter' ..only downside was that he had in it over 3 times what was worth..not a good investment!!! I'd have bought it myself were it not for Yorkshire values of not overpaying.

I have gone down the 'keep it going route' with my 2001 TXT 200 which is viable as I've had it from new and know it's repair / refurb history....as I noted all repairs made and dates of wearable / maintenance component replacement.

A good money saving tip...as it looks like you do with some...not universally agreed up I may add - if you are a pro or do a lot of hopping back and forth etc... is to use a good quality O ring chain... I use Regina..only mod is widening tensioner rubber and tweaking rear sprocket guard - no problem for your Dad given his workshop gear..I don't run front guard..hang over from enduro days...my choice... I know the supposed 'risk'.

Chain initial cost higher but can easily last 2-3 years..unless you ride in mud 7 days a week ... plus as chain pitch remains constant it doesn't hammer the sprockets to death..so they last a lot longer too.

May sap a bit of power but I've never found it a problem... which is why I've used them for over 20 years

Obviously haven't "heard" your latest problem..BUT..you may just get away with a new small end bearing / pin & clips and possibly rings if gap excessive...dependent upon what you find when you 'open it up'.

Going back down memory lane...I recall doing this to freshen up top end on various bike types

If piston & bore 'shot'..then whole new ball game.

If you've made it so far...I assume yours has the old style multi plate clutch..and given your access to Dad I recommend the clutch mod detailed in the Beta section...did it along with my mod of taking out alternate clutch springs...my mod...my choice!!!! and it's beautifully smooth with little effort required and 'nice' feel... occasionally tiny bit of slip at high torque on concrete/tarmac surface in 5th & 6th....can live with that...but for a 250 I'd go with 4 rather than 3 springs. N.B. fitted new springs

Finally....without sounding like a boring old duffer....it's refreshing to see both your enthusiasm and Dads ingenuity/fabrication skills...takes me back to the 1970,s trails scene..where having a bike was more than just riding it.

Goodnight and good luck

david

hi David,

I'm glad you're enjoying reading my thread... I'm enjoying writing it, despite my constant bleating of misery! ha ha...

I have certainly learned the lesson of expensive hobbies... But, that said I think even I wasn't naive enough to think I'd get away with a tenner in the honesty box every week and just ride forever without any expenses... I just hadn't quite thought they would be as expensive and as frequent! Still, my philosophy is "in for a penny in for a pound"... If I stop now, I've achieved nothing. I've not got an operational bike and I've got not really got anything worth selling, so I shall plough onwards.

Eventually I've got to have fixed everything right? ..... right? ! ! :wacko:

With the "knocking", my ear isn't sophisticated enough to know what it is, but two seperate people telling me exactly the same thing is enough of an indication.

I spoke yesterday with the guy that will get the parts and he assured me I should be ok to ride it a few more times without too risk of implossion or instant death, so I'll ride it in the local trial this Saturday, then hang on to it for the bank holiday weekend, then strip it down. I'll buy a kit of parts to replace the small end bearings etc anyway. If, when the barrel comes off, it looks ok then I'll simply replace the worn parts and be on my way... If not, off it goes to the shop for nickosealing.

Referring to your comments on the chain, I am certainly no pro and not really capable of a great deal of hopping either! But, it could be worth looking at. It may be something to go on the back burner, just in case I ever experience a month where I haven't spent over