Kickstart hitting foot peg

cmc84

Fitted my kickstart return spring today, and proceeded to start the bike. Fired up after a few kicks, but I kept hitting the footpeg with my heel despite trying a few locations for the kickstart lever. I've got it mounted so that it starts to turn the engine at 12 o'clock, but it seems to want to continue past the footpeg (at about 4 o'clock) down to almost vertically down. Is this normal? Are my feet just too big, or it it just my technique?

Also, it seemed like when I was turning it over, I would get one good kick which was turning the engine, then one "quiet" kick - is it the case that I'm kicking it through the expansion part of the stroke every other kick?

Fitted my kickstart return spring today, and proceeded to start the bike. Fired up after a few kicks, but I kept hitting the footpeg with my heel despite trying a few locations for the kickstart lever. I've got it mounted so that it starts to turn the engine at 12 o'clock, but it seems to want to continue past the footpeg (at about 4 o'clock) down to almost vertically down. Is this normal? Are my feet just too big, or it it just my technique?

Also, it seemed like when I was turning it over, I would get one good kick which was turning the engine, then one "quiet" kick - is it the case that I'm kicking it through the expansion part of the stroke every other kick?

I have my kicker around 10:30 which works fine for starting and riding too.

You might hit the footpeg with your kicker that is a goemetrical fact.

175%252527er%252520Bultaco%252520Sherpa%25252004-15.jpg

To mount the kicker at noon is a little bit too far back and starting might

get not so easy.

(For starting I turm the handlebar to the right, then search befor OT

place the left feet, knee bent and sit down, (best way to start IMHO),

got her running art least at second kick).

The "quite" kick must be when the piston is getting from downwards to upwards I believe,

otherwise it must be a four stroke you have ???

Yeah, that looks the same as mine, by the time you take up the "slack" in the lever, its vertical. I was worried that there was something slipping/missing when I was moving the starter, but that seems reasonable that its the piston going from down-up. I just couldn't convince myself what was actually happening.

I've made a few mods, but converting to 4 stroke was just a little beyond me.

I'll try kicking her sitting down next time though, I'm spoiled with my "half a kick" Gas Gas!