IRC rear tyre problem

curt531

So here's the problem, bought a new IRC rear tyre from my local supplier ( want'ed a Michelin but let them talk me into the IRC ), fitted it in the same way I fit all my tyres ( must have fitted dozens over the years )left it inflated at 20psi over night & went & did a trial the following day. on the morning of the trial I let it down to 4psi as I normally do & set off. 20 minutes later it's flat, puncture I thought. blew it back up and could not see any signs of one so I carried on, 20 minutes later flat again. took the bike home to sort it out.Monday night took it off the rim, no signs of a puncture so i refitted & inflated it to 10 psi and left it at that, Thursday night went out on the bike fo a bit of practice, checked the pressure, still at 10 psi, set it to 4psi and off i went thinking that the problem was solved. 20 minutes later it's on the rim again stone flat ! now at this point I'm pretty P O ed.I called the suppleyer & told him the story to witch he suggested some things to try & did offer to look at it for me if I had further problems.so this is what I have done,tyre off. cleaned the rim with scotch bite so it is perfectly clean, ( the bike is a 2011 sherco with the normal spoked rim ) scotch brited the bead area on the tyre so that was perfectly clean also,fitted the tyre using no tyre soap and inflated to 30 psi over night, Went to a trial yesterday, let it down to 4psi again, off I went convinced it was sorted. not so,now I'm really not amused. The damn thing only goes down when ridden, Had it completely submerged in water & it has no leaks from the spokes or valve or rim, the tyre must be faulty,so now I will be on the phone to the supplier tomorrow to see what he has to say.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have only just solved a similar issue. Long story that I can't be ersed typing, but safe to say it was doing my heed right in for months, anyway, after numerous flat times, numerous refitting of the rim tape, I finally took ages refitting the rim tape perfectly, set it to four over a week back, still there now.

I have only just solved a similar issue. Long story that I can't be ersed typing, but safe to say it was doing my heed right in for months, anyway, after numerous flat times, numerous refitting of the rim tape, I finally took ages refitting the rim tape perfectly, set it to four over a week back, still there now.

thanks for the advise but deffo not the rim tape.

Your the 4th guy i know with the same problem.

3 guys i ride with have changed to Mich lites because of the same problem. The other is still trying to find out the problem and has even had it changed by the supplier and it still goes down. These are all on DID rims so nothing to do with rim tapes.

It seems that they go flat after a steep or hard hit. They are rubbish on rocks as easy to pop of the rim. Great in mud thou.

Any one else having problems with them ?

Sounds exactly like experience myself and half a dozen others have had on 2010 conventionally spoked Gas Gas rims, IRC just wont hold low pressure under competition, even pretty mild steps. Not heard of same symptoms on Sherco's but suspect similar manufacturer, Morad. Unfortunately have heard this may also apply to late 2011 Gassers with the ridge spoked Morad DID replicas. But not probs at all with Michelins. Xlite decent alternative to IRC in mud, though pricey. Seen plenty of both 2010 and 2011 (ridged) Betas with IRCs though, doesn't appear to be a problem. Sorry cant suggest a solution (other than a Michelin !)

Used a IRC for last 4 years had no issues at all in fact prefered them to any other tyre had them fitted on both my last 2 betas now have a 2010 300 4 stroke and I've had same problem the IRC just keeps going flat now back on the original michilin but that struggled to hold pressure so ended up with a inner tube fitted :-( it's been suggested the rim may be slightly to small cause when the shop has tried installing tyres they just don't pop very well onto the rim when 1st inflated spoke to lamkins who have told me to drop the wheel off for them to check so hopefully will find out soon ??

you are not being logical.

if the tyre deflates from 4 to 0 it is loosing air, underwater this will show itself as bubbles.Slowly, very slowly.

I have had this where maybe only two spokes show it and it may take up to ten secs for the bubble to form.

at higher psi its probably the opposite of what one thinks as the pressure can help seal the band.

get a big enough vessel to immerse half the tyre and look carefully.

if the tyre deflates from 4 to 0 it is loosing air, underwater this will show itself as bubbles.Slowly, very slowly.

I have had this where maybe only two spokes show it and it may take up to ten secs for the bubble to form.

at higher psi its probably the opposite of what one thinks as the pressure can help seal the band.

Nothing to do with the band as the 4 i know about all have 2011 Gas Gas's on DID rims. They only go flat when riding sections or between sections. They stay up all week if just sat in the garage or a old bath...

Already done all this as I said in my thread.