sherco 250 (03) is my stator dead

myzeneye

hi guys....

back on the bike now after the issie with my shoulder, however its now the bikes turn to be broke !

any helps welcome because im not great with electrical faults....

went to trial on sunday, started bike and left ticking over whilst i signed in... come back and bike had cut out. nothing unusual there i suppose with choke left on and starting from cold etc....

started again and went for a quick zip up and down the field. all good, after breifing went into 1st section and before i could get statred the bike died. would start again. very unusual for this bike.

when it did start, it wouldnt tick over. i could get a high rev out of it, but then it would die.

i presumed the carb needed cleaning so did a lightening strip/clean with compressed air and reassembly. changed the spark plug, ditched the fuel for new fuel. tried to start it, it would start, rev once, then die. i could manage to get a spluterry high rev out of it butno tick over or normal throttle delivery at all.i messed with mixture screw etc etc nothing.

after a bit of head scratching i gave the ht lead a jiggle at the coil end... it started, ran perfectly in fact, better then ever.

i put the tool box away (smashing the break light on my car in my haste ! doh!) and set off to catch up....

i got 4 sections done (cleaned as well!) then it died again.

this time, when i kicked it over, it was deffo dead. no chance of any ignition.

i removed the spark plug and set it against the frame... kicked it over and got no spark.

i took a closer look and the ht lead had taped round it (from previous owner)when i removed it, it was clear the ht lead had had an incident with the fan blade at some point and been repaired. i tried this bare section of ht lead against the frame for a spark in case it was arcing from there..nothing, dead.

how do i check if the problem is with the coil ( where the ht lead plugs into) or the stator plate.... ?

i realise "take it to a shop" is probably a good answer but id rather at least have a go first...

any advice on this would be great

thanks in advance guys

mattie

Edited by myzeneye

If the bike has had a new stator at some point, that doesn't mean that it can't fail again, some poeple have had several!

yeah i understand that...

just been out and checked everything over....still completely dead spark wise.....no signs of anything obvious being a miss, so its time to start testing components.... i have a decent multi meter but no idea what i should be testing. if anyone can offer any guidance of how to test to see weather its the coil or the stator im all ears as i dont really have the cash to just start throwing parts at it till it works...............

mat

Edited by myzeneye

I shall try to ease your pain a bit, but not too much.

In a quick read through your report, I did not see that you had checked the earth on the CDI, which must be tight and clean, or eliminated the kill button/switch, which could be shorted.

Other than that, contact Splatshop Chris for component parts to swap(CDI and stator)to isolate the problem.

I think '03 was the split year for ignitions and it could be Ducati or Leonelli, so you may need to remove the flywheel cover to see what you got. The Ducati was clearly marked as I recall on the rotor. The early Leonelli was the one with no timing index marks and required some odd adjustment with a timing pin, so in this case be careful to note original stator plate position to go back the exact same if possible.

I have never heard of a recall on this side of the pond, nor the forums, but? Isolation using a meter has been historically iffy and poor, as we have no real way of dynamic testing these things in the field. :thumbup:

You mention an "upgraded" stator, as far as i know there is no such thing.

I have an 05 sherco 290, the stator failed and splatshop supplied a replacement, there is no upgraded version, it was exactly the same as the one that failed, this will probably fail too at some point in the future.

thanks for advice guys... yes, it seems in my naivety i was mis informed re: the stator recall etc... load of pants.

cope,

i did disconnect the kill switch to see if that changed anything, all i did was undo the spade conector off it tho,and leave the earth end conected to the frame , do i need to anything else other then just disconect it to elimainate the switch?

the coil is lleonelli, but ill have to buy a fly wheel puller to get at the stator.........

the earth contacts your talking about,? i see the one on the inside of the frame next to where the coil is sited ,thats good and tight,and i presume the top fuel tank bolt which also holds the coil and thyrister thingy in, is that an earth connection as well ?

given that the ht lead has been scollopped by the fan, would it be likely that the coil is damaged due to arcing etc and over cooking things ( i did have an issue not long ago with the bike running extrememly hot???) ir do i just go straight for a stator ?

does any one know if will spalt supply both and refund the non offender ?

my gut feelings are, and knowing sods law, its the stator, but i will have to renew the coil aswell due to the damaged ht lead.... doh!!!

hi mate have you tried the meter on the wire going from the ststor to the coil and kick it over surely if you get a reading we can say it is the coil

also when looking at it on sunday it looked like the fuel tank was pushing the ht lead down so much so that the rubber shroud on the coil was almost off has anyone else with a 03 sherco noticed this issue

i have a montesa so im only used to cleaning the bike lol

?

given that the ht lead has been scollopped by the fan, would it be likely that the coil is damaged due to arcing etc and over cooking things

It's unlikely that the HT lead will have been arching against the fan as the fan blade is non-conductive.

thanks for advice guys... yes, it seems in my naivety i was mis informed re: the stator recall etc... load of pants.

cope,

i did disconnect the kill switch to see if that changed anything, all i did was undo the spade conector off it tho,and leave the earth end conected to the frame , do i need to anything else other then just disconect it to elimainate the switch?

No

the coil is lleonelli, but ill have to buy a fly wheel puller to get at the stator.........

They are cheap and good to have about.

the earth contacts your talking about,? i see the one on the inside of the frame next to where the coil is sited ,thats good and tight,and i presume the top fuel tank bolt which also holds the coil and thyrister thingy in, is that an earth connection as well ?

Cannot recall the exact point, on the side I think, short wire from cdi.

given that the ht lead has been scollopped by the fan, would it be likely that the coil is damaged due to arcing etc and over cooking things ( i did have an issue not long ago with the bike running extrememly hot???) ir do i just go straight for a stator ?

Possible but doubt it, as many have rubbed without problem

does any one know if will spalt supply both and refund the non offender ?

Yes, seems yours will likely have the "early style" stator. Look closely for any wire rubs onit as well.

my gut feelings are, and knowing sods law, its the stator, but i will have to renew the coil aswell due to the damaged ht lead.... doh!!! Not neccessarily, it is what it is if protected now.

:thumbup:

:thumbup:

cheers copemech... gonna review finances tonight and see if i can scratch together enough to buy a new stator.. :rolleyes: dont see much point in any 2nd ebay jobbies, they are half the price but who knows how long they'l last... ?

any one know, if i buy a new one, do they carry any kind of guarentee or if the new one fails a few months down the line is it just hard luck ?

gonna get me a "racing loom" whilst im at it, i dont think i could get all the lighting circuits stuffed back in the frame enough to be what i would consider neat and tidy.... bloody wires !!!

one last thought....its a long shot..... before it died completley, nelly1 had an idea of blasting (and i mean blasting) the stator with wd40 incase it was wet..... wd40 is non conductive, right ? is it possible that this could be an issue, if so, any suggestions as to what i could use to remove the wd40 coating which is now all over the stator.... ??? i know the actual coils have some kind of laquer coating so i wouldnt know what to use and not stripp that off.... gotta be worth a shot beofre i start ordering parts.... :banana2: