Newbie Gasser Questions

motohead

This is my first Gas Gas- 2000 200TXT. Whats up with the hoseclamps? Do I cut them off or are they reusable? Where is the radiator fluid drainhole? Where is the tranny oil drainhole? Where is the tranny fluid fill hole? I know these are dumb questions but you wouldnt have to ask these questions on any Jap bike. The video does not cover this.

Motohead: Do not cut the hose clamps! They are re useable and very nice to work with once you get the hang of it. They contain a latching clip which can be released by gently squeezing the latch part together with a pair of pliers while you disconnect the latch with a small 90 degree scribe. To re-connect them just squeeze the latch back together and they are dialed. If the trans oil filler plug (allen type) is not present on the top right near the kickstarter, I think you lay the bike on it's left side, remove the OUTER clutch cover then pour the oil in around the clutch. The TXT models hold 700cc's of thin high quality gear oil like silkoline etc. If there is not a coolant drain plug on or near the water pump cover, remove one of the coolant hoses the lowest one and drain coolant that way. The tranny drain plug should be an allen bolt recessed up in a deep hole in the skid plate. Actual GG owners may have more detailed information for you so stay tuned. JL

post-7-1111804613.jpg

Edited by JayLael

Thanks for the help. I just serviced the air cleaner. I thought my honda CRF cleaner was bad! A washer on the inside of the airbox fell off and could have easily got sucked into the cylinder if I didnt notice. I found the allen oil filler bolt. If you have to lay the bike on its side to fill it that makes the sight window unusable while filling up. While unscrewing the brake fluid drain nipple it snapped clean off with the threads still in. The engineering on these bikes are less than what Im used to.

Edited by Motohead

Motohead: Bikes like this one (ok I mean the 280, ride the 200 and see if it runs ok before attempting repair. These are just general comments) come with incorrect jetting, so unless someone has fettled the bike before-hand it won't run up to par. They also can have pretty severe fuel starvation issues when run hard down a road etc. Typically they come with a 30 pilot and 120 main and a # 100 needle seat. I have had much better results with around #38 pilot, #109 - 110 main jet, and #200 needle seat with about 1 turn on the air/fuel screw. If the bike does not idle well with from 3/4 to 1 1/2 turns on the screw change the pilot jet size. Opening up the screw to 3 turn or something to get enough fuel at idle means the pilot jet is too small! Also the petcocks go bad due to internal swelling of the rubber parts causing slower and slower fuel flow. Keep the fuel inlet screen on the carb nice and clean plus swish out the fuel tank and clean the aluminum scurf out of the petcock. Manufacturing process leaves quite a bit of this stuff in the tank on most GG bikes when new and this must be cleaned out before it plugs up the fuel flow. As I have been going on about GG bikes let me say I think the TXT models are very good bikes once they have been sorted. I only want to help by giving what I consider to be real world advice, where the rubber meets the mud, so to speak. PLEASE DON'T ASSUME I AM JUST OUT TO BASH THESE FINE BIKES. Jay Lael

Thanks for the help.  I just serviced the air cleaner.  I thought my honda CRF cleaner was bad!  A washer on the inside of the airbox fell off and could have easily got sucked into the cylinder if I didnt notice.  I found the allen oil filler bolt.  If you have to lay the bike on its side to fill it that makes the sight window unusable while filling up.  While unscrewing the brake fluid drain nipple it snapped clean off with the threads still in.  The engineering on these bikes are less than what Im used to.

A washer inside the airbox?

Don't remember ever seeing one of those.

The sight glass is useless. I guess it's just there for peace of mind. "Yup...I've got oil"

As for filling, just measure the proper amount.

And a bleed nipple that's not been moved for 5 years has a good chance of snapping on any machine. They are, of course, hollow, and they always seem to be made of soft material. I've broken many. At least they already have a place for the extractor! :)

Put some anti-seize on the new one.

Don't get discouraged. You bought a fine bike. You just have to get used to the fact that trials bikes are a little quirky, and some things are done differently to keep them so small and light.