315 Height without bars?

sharkbait

Hi. Complete noob here - noob to mototrbikes as well as trials :wacko:

I must be mad but I've bought a '98 315 to learn on (starting on a bit of land that I've got) but need to get it back from the previous owner which is about 1.5hrs away.

i don't have a rack or trailer yet but i was wondering whether the 315 would fit inside my XC90. I'm pretty sure it will fit in lengthways but I'm not sure about height. Anybody know what the height of the bike is with the bars off?

Edited by sharkbait

Well known Cotswold trials rider Jon Bliss turned up at my last trial with a new Montesa 4RT in the back of his estate car.

He dragged the front forks out of the back so that they were hanging over the rear bumper, put the front wheel in, pulled the rest of the bike out and that was it.

Drew a crows of spectators who couldn't belive he'd got it in there with just the front wheel out.

Watch out for oil leaks.

I used to transport my 348 on its side in a mercedes W124 estate. It would fit with both wheels fitted, but easier to remove the front wheel.

The forks used to leak oil when tipped over as the seals were shot.

the gearbox has a breather that will let gear oil out when fully laid on its side.

The oil doesnt leak until you are concentrating on the road ahead.

Edited by bigshineybike

Thanks guys. I did wonder if it would leak if laid on its side (fork seals leaking on this one also) but I reckon I can get it in upright and just drop the middle seat rear seat down so the bike rests between the two outer seats.

Although the length should be OK even with both wheels on, I like the idea of removing the rear mudgaurd and front wheel - does the bike rest on the bottom of the forks or the sumpguard when the front wheel is off?

Take the forks (complete with front wheel etc) out at the yokes, front brake off at the handlebars and rear wheel out. You can then easily lift the bits into nearly any vehicle.

Cheers

That might be a bit extreme in my case..... the XC90 is pretty big inside. Think I've decided how it's going to fit - will post a pic if it works.

Make sure the bike is well secured. In case of even a minor accident the bike will become a deadly projectile and crush you.

Thanks for the reminder. I'll be strapping the bike to the fixing points on either side of the car so it shouldn't be able to move forwads.