hello, and advice needed

richardktm

hello all,

im richard from ireland,

just decided to buy a trials bike in the next few weeks,

i already have a ktm660 smc,

i wanted to know what is the best trials bike for about 1000-1500 euro, and what problems to look out for,

are there any good links with good information and reviews on each bikes like the gas gas, sherco and beta rev, etc etc

thanks for reading :thumbup:

hi there isnt a specific best trials bike as they all have there good and bad points but start with a 250 they have more that enough power a lot of beginners think they can jump straight on a bigger bike but that isnt the case as the bike ends up riding them ,scorpa seem very reliable but i find the engine rather wide ,where gas gases engine is very narrow which is good but they suffer from gearbox problems and the clutch can be problematic sherco arnt too bad seem quite reliable but need to watch out for crank bearing noise and rear linkage play beta and Montesa are also good betas can suffer stator failure but if the covers removed after use and washing and its sprayed with dw40 and left to dry they seem to be ok ,however these and the Montesa have an alloy frame so you need to check for damaged threads or wear the Montesa is possibly the most reliable but a little dated in 2 stroke form and the 4stroke is probably out of budget

hi there isnt a specific best trials bike as they all have there good and bad points but start with a 250 they have more that enough power a lot of beginners think they can jump straight on a bigger bike but that isnt the case as the bike ends up riding them ,scorpa seem very reliable but i find the engine rather wide ,where gas gases engine is very narrow which is good but they suffer from gearbox problems and the clutch can be problematic sherco arnt too bad seem quite reliable but need to watch out for crank bearing noise and rear linkage play beta and Montesa are also good betas can suffer stator failure but if the covers removed after use and washing and its sprayed with dw40 and left to dry they seem to be ok ,however these and the Montesa have an alloy frame so you need to check for damaged threads or wear the Montesa is possibly the most reliable but a little dated in 2 stroke form and the 4stroke is probably out of budget

thanks for that info :thumbup:

yea i suppose they all have bad points, once you look after them,

i like the beta, Montesa or gas gas so il leave it down to them,

there is a nice beta here in ireland for good money i think: http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/motorbikes/2216729

the beta you show is a 2000 model not a 2002 as advertised this is another problem you will find ,people selling bikes as later models so try and get vin number and check it out ,only thing with a 2000 model is it has upside down forks beta must of wanted to get rid of some old stock at the time ,they reduce much needed steering lock and give a front end heavy impression

the beta you show is a 2000 model not a 2002 as advertised this is another problem you will find ,people selling bikes as later models so try and get vin number and check it out ,only thing with a 2000 model is it has upside down forks beta must of wanted to get rid of some old stock at the time ,they reduce much needed steering lock and give a front end heavy impression

Im a massive Montesa fan due to it being a well built and very reliable jap bike,by no means are they dated good riders could stand up to anything else on one and regularly do! lampkin did his best work on one.

Dont forget yamahas scorpa another very reliable jap bike,has very good reviews!

thanks everyone,

i would not have known that was a 2000 model.

but im hoping it will be arounf xmas time before i get one,

il see what pops up on the local website.

i heard the Montesa are very good

these are the different trials bikes that are on the best selling website in ireland

http://www.donedeal.ie/find/motorbikes/for-sale/Ireland/trial?source=all