Insurance For A Bike At Home

marky g

you will find that if you spend a bit of time and not much money making your shed secure it will be easier to get insurance - I have a ground anchor rigged up to padlock bikes to, lined the walls (up to 4ft) and door in 18mm plywood, fitted a simple (cheap) alarm to the door, and fitted extra hinges and hasps/locks. when you list this all to insurance companies they seem to accept that it is more of a 'garage' than a shed. and this makes a difference. Unfortunatly a lot of it still goes on your postcode which can be a bit unfair.

Carol Nash does f+t insurance for garaged bikes not used on the road which can, i think, include insurance while on a trailer.

Edited by overthehill

overthehill, thanks for the advice,

I have already made it more secure by putting:

Steel grill on the inside of the window.

H/Duty hinges fitted with coach bolts with a steel plate on the back/inside of the door (so they can't just jemmy the hinges off)

Two H/Duty asp and staple again with steel plate on the inside of the shed and a couple of the padlocks that hide allot of the locking pin.

5 lever lock inside the shed.

I've also used metal strapping on all the side joins of the shed and more importantly where the roof is mounted onto the side's.

Apparnatly the twats don't even bother with the door they just 'push up' on the roof and off it comes.

Finally, I've got a good lock and chain that goes thru all the bikes...phew!!

When you start to look at it the more paranoid you can get about securing it....what if they try this and what if they try that?? it statrs to do your head in :o

I will look at an alarm of sorts though, I'll check B&Q out.

Mark

Totally agree with Boofont. I went through the same hassle - trying to get my house insurance company to charge me extra to insure it, but to no avail.

The best I could get was that it would be insured against theft if it was fixed to the floor in a brick built garage, by a Thatcham approved device. And I would pay about

Cheers guys,

I Think I'll get a plate for the Sherco and then see if I can get the Yam/Sherco/Kawasaki on the same policy.

Boofont, I'm whith NIG @ the moment with the Kawka, I don't think They'll have multiple bikes on one policy. who are you with if you don't mind me asking?.

I want to pull a few road trails off this year anyway so what the hell.

Thanks for all your advice guys.

Marky

Marky, my Gas Gas is registered and insured through Carole Nash at Altrincham tel: 0800 298 5500. They know about off road bikes and will also insure an unreg bike on the frame number for up to three weeks to allow time to get it registered. You can also have several machines on the same policy and their prices seem very competitive. Apparently they are also working on a policy system which should be available later this year where on one policy you will be able to cover one or more bikes as well as cars. Which they say will work out cheaper.

Eiger.

Cheers Eiger, I bell them Monday and see what they say.

I'm waiting for the cert of newness for the Sherco before I go for it, it's been years since I last had to register a trails bike but from what I can recall it was: get MOT, take MOT and cert of newness + a letter saying what the bike was going to be used for, tax money & insurance. All to be took to the local DVLA license office.

My local bike shop spanner man is "trails man" so no problem getting the MOT :o

Thanks once again guys.

Marky