Pre 65 Scottish 2012

wallo

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm out! The hard luck letter arrived today.

Even a rare Tandon Kangaroo didn't help. Had a good run I guess.

Could be something to do with being the same capacity as lots of Cubs.

Still going though. Wouldn't miss our Highland Holiday.

Edited by Stickinthemud

No-one out there got any info on this new frame regulation, per my previous post?

Must be someone entered on a bike that falls into that category?

Bet theres loads woody but i think people will keep their heads down as you know it doesnt pay to make waves or forget to tug your forelock when it comes to the pre65 scottish. Even if it is the case how do you know that next year, 2013, when you are thinking of trying for a place that they wont think of another "hurdle" or would the correct term be spanner to throw into the works.

I know it's a waste of time as we have been here so many times when discussing eligability etc with regard to this one off event but would it be too much to ask for any eligability regulations to have a 4 year timeframe instead of altering every time a vested interest has their way? Yeah it probably is too much to ask :chairfall:

Ok this was my week. I got a text this week on tuesday from a man in the know to say " its on the way" you can take it from me. The next day the dreaded letter came ! ! ! :chairfall: The next thing i learnt was out of all my friends i am the only one not riding. Depressed

Of interest to anyone with a MK3 Faber frame.

As regards the Faber (Otter) frame eligibility, I found an email contact for the Pre65 committee on the ssdt website, so sent an email asking about the Faber MK3 frame acceptability in view of the new 'bolt up subframe' rule.

The frame is still acceptable, this is the reply I got from Bill Emmerson

The Otter frame was used by Scott Ellis on his works BSA to win the British Experts trial in 1965 and the present Faber copy of this frame is eligible as it is a reasonable "of a design" copy, however, modification in manufacture or private ownership may alter the design to be unacceptable. In simple terms the frame must be identifiable and look like an Otter.

So there you have it.

Please note though that my question was asked specifically in relation to the MK3 frame being acceptable and his reply states the present Faber frame, so I'm assuming the MK1 and MK2 frames are not.

Hi Guy's,

Hi Woody,

Thanks for doing that mate!!!

So we now have confirmation from Scotland, that the MK 3 Faber "Otter" frame is OK for the two day event. YES.

BUT This frame is not like the one used by Scott Ellis, to win the British Experts trial in 1965, is it ????????????????????????????? :wall: Take a look at my site www.bsaotter.com to get the low down.

Anyway a result? (Hope Howard is right about the CUB Mk 3 frame too.) :thumbup:

Regards Charlie.

I'm no expert on BSA history Charlie, but I thought the bike that Scott built and rode in 1965 (the BOK bike) had frame tubes under the engine, at least for the first couple of years. So I can understand why the Otter MK1 and 2 frames aren't considered eligible, or a reasonable copy, due to the tubes under the engine being replaced by a bashplate and therefore not a Pre65 design. Although people did possess hacksaws and welding equipment in 1964 so it isn't something that an individual couldn't have done to their own bike - but that's a whole different issue.

The MK3 frame appears to be more like Scott's bike, the frame of which appears to be very similar to a 1963/4 C15S frame (of which Bill Emmerson has sent me a BSA brochure picture) Hence it's eligibility.

Hi Guy's.

Thought you may like to see my Scott Ellis Replica frame. This is it.

Woody, The frame that Scott used to win the Experts,was like my copy,Tiger Cub bolt on sub frame. The frame he used before that Was BSA and had the pinched in seat down tubes.

Edit To reply to Woody.

Regards Charlie.

post-2608-0-04971300-1325172571.jpg

Edited by charlie prescott

I'm no expert on BSA history Charlie, but I thought the bike that Scott built and rode in 1965 (the BOK bike) had frame tubes under the engine, at least for the first couple of years. So I can understand why the Otter MK1 and 2 frames aren't considered eligible, or a reasonable copy, due to the tubes under the engine being replaced by a bashplate and therefore not a Pre65 design. Although people did possess hacksaws and welding equipment in 1964 so it isn't something that an individual couldn't have done to their own bike - but that's a whole different issue.

The MK3 frame appears to be more like Scott's bike, the frame of which appears to be very similar to a 1963/4 C15S frame (of which Bill Emmerson has sent me a BSA brochure picture) Hence it's eligibility.

Hmmm whatever as long as they dont go back on that when you try to get an entry next year. I must admit i was wondering about the earlier reference to being a replica of a bike that won the 1965 British Experts especially seeing as the scottish event is "supposed" to be about bikes available prior to Dec 31st 1964. As i said earlier whatever. Not directed at you Woody but i can never understand why some people seem to think pre65 means 65 is still acceptable? :popcorn:

Edited by Old trials fanatic

Ok Charlie, understand now. But I guess this is why the MK1 and MK2 aren't eligible as they don't bear a resemblance to a Pre65 frame, whereas the MK3 is a very close copy of a 1963 S frame.

Out of curiosity I asked Bill about the MK1 and 2 frames, so waiting to see what he says.

So, although the MK3 frame is ok, I'm not sure mine will be as I've modified the big and ugly rear mudguard loop (ie; cut the monstrosity off as I prefer two single spars to hold the mudguard) It was that wide you could drop a housebrick between the mudguard and the loop.

I've just completed a lashed up build of my bike, so if I can find the camera I'll send you some photos for your site. Hoping to give it a shakedown try this weekend at the BMCA new year trial. Once everything is sorted and it rides ok I can strip and get it all painted, then send you photos of it finished

Hi Guy's.

Hi Dave thank's for that, looking foward to seeing your bike.

Have you measured a house brick then?? it is wide though.

If you have a problem to get an entry with the chopped frame, you can always borrow one of mine OK.

I am just glad that the "Otter" frame is now getting the publicity it deserves.

And don't forget that it was Colin Dommett, and the late Harry Foster that gave the frame the name "OTTER"? because the replica Scott Ellis frame, was built in Harry's workshop next to the river "Otter" .

:banana2: :banana2: :banana2: Thanks Guy's

Regards Charlie.