Dirt in carb - advise please ...

sammyj

Hi All,

I have just bought my first trials bike (05 Sherco 290) and really enjoying my new sport.

I bought the bike from a dealer who ensured me all was ready to ride, so I went straight on it for a few hours last weekend. I went to change the air filter tonight and I noticed the air box was very dirty and wet ... I presumed because I gave it a good jet wash after riding. Anyway I took off the airbox to give it a good clean and noticed dirt in the carb too. This may be because I stupidly started the bike after I jet washed (30 secs just to dry) but I cannot be 100% sure.

Anyone got any advise on what my next move should be? ... clean carb and put together or start taking motor apart.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Gday, just give the carb a clean. Use screwdrivers that fit very well - if necessary grind them to suit. Blow out with air to finish. Use care and you should be OK. In future, never start it with the aircleaner out!

Cheers,

Stork

Hi All,

I have just bought my first trials bike (05 Sherco 290) and really enjoying my new sport.

I bought the bike from a dealer who ensured me all was ready to ride, so I went straight on it for a few hours last weekend. I went to change the air filter tonight and I noticed the air box was very dirty and wet ... I presumed because I gave it a good jet wash after riding. Anyway I took off the airbox to give it a good clean and noticed dirt in the carb too. This may be because I stupidly started the bike after I jet washed (30 secs just to dry) but I cannot be 100% sure.

Anyone got any advise on what my next move should be? ... clean carb and put together or start taking motor apart.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Quote from another recent thread, from me!

Oh, I forgot to tell you the most important thing about a Sherco of your year.

NEVER RIDE THE BIKE AFTER WASHING IT, NEVER! You got that!

Washing the bike reguardless of how, you will wash water and dirt through the air filter and into the bottom of the airbox.

At best this will wash down and chew up your motor eventually, at worst, the throttle will stick open from the dirt and you are fecked!

I find it simpler to just pull the mudguard and air filter prior to washing, block the air hole or cover it(i have a special non porus foam plug cut to size) prior to washing. Otherwise you gotta do it anyway, then you got a wet filter and the box to clean out! Simplelz! You can pull the tank at the same time and get the rest without issue!

At this point, just get a can of carby spray or brake cleaner and give the carb and slide a good spray. No dirt allowed! Drop the bowl nut and clean and dry the bowl as well as you had no previous problem with dirt in the jets this will likely suffice as long as you can eat off it when done! An air blower helps as well. :rolleyes: