Oset 12.5 Brake Upgrade

jonnybmac

Can anyone tell me if these will work on an oset 12.5? or does anyone have any tips on how to make it easyer for little hands that are not strong enough to pull the levers?

http://www.tartybikes.co.uk/116mm_fixed_hubs/onza_sealed_disc_rear/c62p10814.html

or someone else sugested magura hydrolic rim brakes. jhas anyone had any luck with these and will they fit?

http://activesport.co.uk/shop/article_hs33_0000-002/Magura-HS33-Hydraulic-Single-Rim-Brakes.html?pse=coa

If you post up a picture of the rear wheel hub of the 12.5 I could tell you if it will be ok or not, you can get some nice hydro disk brakes with adjustable pull levers, not sure if there will be enough adjustment for tiny hands tho but well worth looking into I'm also sure that careful selection of levers on a set of hydro brakes will also help ( like a 1, 2 or 3 finger pull )

not sure what you want in terms of pictures but ive took a few and a few rough measurements.. can take more accurate ones if eneded but it seems the two supports either side on the front brake are 800mm apart and the full hub size at the rear is around 1300mm give or take. would be great to swap the band brake with a hydrolic as its pretty hard to pull any sort of lock with his hands being so weak. he can manage tor each the levers now but obviously due to the long stretch he doesnt have the ability to engage it with it being so stuff from cable.

http://s168.photobucket.com/albums/u179/spunkydamonkey/oset%20brakes/

not sure what you want in terms of pictures but ive took a few and a few rough measurements.. can take more accurate ones if eneded but it seems the two supports either side on the front brake are 800mm apart and the full hub size at the rear is around 1300mm give or take. would be great to swap the band brake with a hydrolic as its pretty hard to pull any sort of lock with his hands being so weak. he can manage tor each the levers now but obviously due to the long stretch he doesnt have the ability to engage it with it being so stuff from cable.

http://s168.photobuc.../oset%20brakes/

If the rear dropouts are 135mm apart then that is standard size so you will need to look for a disk hub with that spacing , the one you linked to will not be long enough to fit in the dropouts (116mm ) , I know DMR do one that will do the job http://www.ebay.co.u...b#ht_2232wt_802 you can get also get them in 36 hole but both types are becoming rare with the larger standard screw thread which is what you will need ( would it be possible to mod the band brake on your existing hub to accept a disk? ) , you will also have to have a calliper mount welded to the swingarm . Standard brake posts spacing for the front is 80mm give or take 5mm so a hyro rim brake will be a direct replacement but I think the rear will need some major mods ( maybe worth taking the band brake cover off and looking to see if it is a standard bike hub with a band brake attachment could be either screwed on or bolted on through a disk rotor mount) , I know The larger wheel osets ( with a rear disk )use the DMR hubs so you could ask oset just for a hub maybe .

Edit: I just looked at your pictures again, you may also have a problem with the hole count on the rim so you would have to replace the rim as well if you wanted to try a standard hub ( 32 or 36 hole ) and for such a small rim Im not sure you can get them with higher hole counts.

Edited by gwhy

do you have the levers adjusted "in" and then adjusted for properly after that?

my boy started on the 12.5 at 2 1/2 as well and had no problem at all locking up the rear brake... In the beginning i took off the front brake all together as to not overwhelm him with options. by the time he was three he was only using two fingers to brake and locking it up easily, he is small for his age.

I understand what you are after as i am right now converting his 16 to hydro brakes... but i was pretty impressed with the band brakes myself...

just wondering is all...

changing grips to the renthal full diamond soft helps a lot too... they are a smaller diameter thus taking up less of their little hands on the grip and allowing for a little more reach from their fingers... then you can adjust the levers in even a bit more...

• 2 weeks later...

I have just been looking at the spare's on the oset website and it looks like the band brake is a screw fitting or ( hopefully a bolt on ) onto a standard hub so a wheel should be very easy to add a rotor to.

• 2 weeks later...

Disc brakes would need a bit of frame/fork modification (There's no IS disc mount tabs on either frame OR forks). The forks will take a Magura HS33 but the rear does not have a conventional mountain bike brake mount. IMO your options are:

Cheapest option - Premium quality brake cables - Goodridge do some real nice ones, even the higher end Shimano ones are good. Lube em up real good to get them as light as possible. Loosen spring tension on the front V brake and perhaps fit some softer pads.

More expensive option - Have someone braze on some 4 bolt magura specific mounts to the rear of the frame http://www.tartybikes.co.uk/rim_brake_spares/magura_brazeon_adaptors_and_bolts/c5p11051.html and purchase a set of hs33s. I have used these for donkeys years on the pedal trials and found that bleeding the whole system through with water/antifreeze (the seals hold this fine and there's not a lot of heat goes through the system so it works brill!) lightens them right up and there's plenty of adjustment on the lever for little hands. Also softer pads for these would be an added bonus so he doesn't have to pull the brake as hard to get it to stop!

Most expensive option - Modify the frame/forks to accept a disc brake (looking at the rear of the frame you may be able to manufacture some sort of floating tab that will sit between the wheelnut/rear drop out and then attach to the existing tab for the brake that's on it, otherwise you'd have to weld some mounts on. Then you'd have to change hubs I'd expect the hub spacing on the bike now to be something reasonably standard so you shouldn't have trouble there.