Cleaning An Exhaust On A Txt Pro 2004

jezinlaneham

Do you mean the silencer at the rear or the middle too. If just the rear take the end cap off and replace the packing job done.

Don't set fire to the middle section it contains wire wool and you will just burn the guts out of it and as its not openable to repack, you will kill it.

I checked my center muffler a while ago and it was very badly carboned up to the point wherre the hole in the center pipe were completely clogged. This prevented the gases from expanding as they were intended to. First, I soaked it in diesel fuel overnight to dissolve as much of the gunk as I could. Then I did burn out the rest of the diesel. I got it hot enough to burn out the gunk that had built up over the years. After I burned it out, I could see the perforations in the center tube. I cannot tell if I burned out the packing but I will say the bike runs smoother and sounds better. I do not like a loud bike and I do not think it is any louder than it was before.

Before cleaning the muffler and replacing the very old air filter, I kept fouling plugs and had to lean out the bike by moving the clip in the carb needle. After cleaning and replacing the air filter I was able to move the needle clip back to it's original position and the bike runs and sounds great. Definitley worth doing in my case.

• 2 weeks later...

Do you mean the silencer at the rear or the middle too. If just the rear take the end cap off and replace the packing job done.

Don't set fire to the middle section it contains wire wool and you will just burn the guts out of it and as its not openable to repack, you will kill it.

Thanks; I clened it out with gunk? I have not tried repacking; the exhaust looked one solid rear piece to me this is the last section of the pipe I am referring to;

Does this come apart?

Jez

I checked my center muffler a while ago and it was very badly carboned up to the point wherre the hole in the center pipe were completely clogged. This prevented the gases from expanding as they were intended to. First, I soaked it in diesel fuel overnight to dissolve as much of the gunk as I could. Then I did burn out the rest of the diesel. I got it hot enough to burn out the gunk that had built up over the years. After I burned it out, I could see the perforations in the center tube. I cannot tell if I burned out the packing but I will say the bike runs smoother and sounds better. I do not like a loud bike and I do not think it is any louder than it was before.

Before cleaning the muffler and replacing the very old air filter, I kept fouling plugs and had to lean out the bike by moving the clip in the carb needle. After cleaning and replacing the air filter I was able to move the needle clip back to it's original position and the bike runs and sounds great. Definitley worth doing in my case.

People keep referring to dong the packing? The exhaust is in two sections; this was the last( rear section I refer to; does this come apart or is it the front part that has the packing; the whole thing especially the rear looked solid to me?? Must be thick but new to trials!

I cleaned it with white spirit and gunk??? Sounds ok now but probaly a little louder!

My 2004 gas gas 200 had a complete rear silence unit (no end cap) I just got someone to cut it open and refill with packing and then welded it up again wel worth the effort. Same can be done for middle box. Not sure if all 04 had this rear box or just the 200.

• Like 1

My 2004 gas gas 200 had a complete rear silence unit (no end cap) I just got someone to cut it open and refill with packing and then welded it up again wel worth the effort. Same can be done for middle box. Not sure if all 04 had this rear box or just the 200.

Thanks