Dougie Cooper.

charlie prescott

Dougie Cooper.

It was sad news to me when informed by my brother that sadly Doug had past away a few weeks ago.

Doug was a part of the “super hero” partnership of sidecar trial in the sixties. Ron Langston and Doug Cooper did more to inspire budding crews to take up the sport of sidecar trials during this time than anyone else. If this pairing could ride a combination to the standard they did, with ease, this was the sport to be in. Every crew just set there sights at knocking this duo from there pinnacle, but that pinnacle was high, and not many got anywhere near close to it, and when they did, Ron and Doug would just turn on the magic, and that would set the bar higher again. They would find and try lines through sections that no one else would even think of attempting, and nine times out of ten, for a clean. If the duo had past through the section unseen by following crews, the first question would be, “which line did Ron and Doug take” to the observer, the second comment would be “Your joking, and for a clean”. Anyway I could keep on for hours about my “Super Hero’s”, but I will just say condolences to the family and friends of Dougie, and leave you with this tale I wrote about them in 2007.

Regards Charlie.

• photo-thumb-2608.jpg
  • Members
  • bullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.png
  • 804 posts

• Bike:bsa Otter's Etc,

Posted 23 December 2007 - 06:51 PM

{C}Hi Guy’s.

I was recalling a few days ago when asked by a friend, the most memorable moment whilst riding in trials in the early sixties.

Well the one that sprung to mind was when we had one of the first rides on the Ex Frank Darrieulat’s BSA Goldie outfit XJO 277.driven by my work mate and mentor “Nobby” Clements.

The trial was one of the Midland centre group trials, (I can’t remember which one or the year) but it must have been 1963-64. And started from Edge Hill quarry Warwickshire.

We had experienced a strength sapping day as we were new to this sidecar game, and the old bike was heavy. Well we had managed to keep going and were up with the rest of the chairs as we reached what I recall as being the last section of the day. The long climb from the bottom of the hill at Radway up the old coach road to the top road opposite the Edge Hill quarry (King John's Lane) We were parked at the tail end of the queue of outfits so had time to watch and study the line taken by the front running crews. Well that old lane was muddy and deep. And there was only one line straight up the middle.

You could not see the bikes start the section standing halfway up the hill, but could hear the crescendo of revs building from the mainly Ariel and BSA singles as they set off. By the time they had come into view most of them were footing like mad or the passenger was off pushing. The galleried packed banks were passing comments on the action but not many were prepared to help the crews get their plots to the top. Well stood watching the mêlée and virtually unnoticed, were Ron Langston and Doug Cooper. A few words were exchanged between the pair a few hand signals and a few kicks of the soil slipping banks, they wondered back down the lane. In the mean time more red faced struggling crews tried to reach the end’s card. The recognisable sound of Ron’s Ariel sprang into life, the crowd was hushed with all necks craned to the corner down the lane, You could hear the power coming from the motors note and tell he was in a high gear, they sprang into view weaving from one side bank to the other the note of the motor hardly changing until they disappeared out of view around the top corner. The motor was cut and the observer blew a blast on his whistle, followed by the tiny voice of Doug “alright”.

I think so. The remaining crew’s including us, rushed down the lane to try the same manover but no one did.

Can any of you remember this?