199 Clutch Same As 191?

colinf

Just looking for another couple of missing parts for my 191 rebuild on ebay and found 199 ones.Are the inlet manifold and clutch assembly the same on these two models? If not what are the differences.

The inlet manifold will fit ok as they are the same

Clutches were altered more than once up to the 1976 models. Some had threaded nuts on the end of the hub pegs with nuts to tension the clutch springs, some had unthreaded pegs with a hole through it at the end through which a pin slots to retain and tension the springs. Although that is the only real visual difference, there are differences in the thickness of the boss at the back of the basket and the hub so they aren't all interchangeable - although I daresay if you could adapt them with machining.

However, once past the '76 models I think that the clutches changed but then remained unaltered from '77 bikes, so a 199 should be fine on a 191. They use the latest type with the nuts to tension the springs

The crank counterweights were also shaped differently to suit the type of clutch case fitted (not an issue from 191 to 199 as same case)